Speaker settings for stereo headphones?
May 12, 2016 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

username1

Head-Fier
Hey there!

I've read many threads about configuring your sound for stereo headphones. Running on Win10 and separate X-Fi.

What really confuses me is the fact whether i should use Stereo or 5.1 in Windows mixer configuration? And whether i should use Full-Range speakers setting or not (as seen on the picture)? I've tried to change between Stereo and 5.1 while running MPC (i use cccp-project.net) with some 5.1 material and they make no sonic difference. I get no surround feeling on my cans while switching 5.1 and stereo. Why? Is the 5.1 track only working when you use real 5.1 speaker setup? Or some software emulation like SBX/CMSS? These latter ones sound terrible though. Or is there any way to configure MPC/LAV audio filter correctly for some surround effect?

Windows mixer also allows you to let applications take exclusive control over the device. What does it really do in real life scenario? If it's enabled, will apps disregard any Windows mixer settings (like the previously mentioned 5.1 and stereo)? I tried running old EAX capable game Thief 3 and it doesn't matter - either exclusive control is ticked on or not, i get the surround feeling with EAX enabled through Alchemy. But newer games like ARMA3 have no surround feeling whatsoever. Is it because new games with their own implemented sound engines only properly provide you surround with the right 5.1 speaker setup? With headphones, no matter what and how i configure it, it sounds completely crap.

I guess i asked many quite some things here, but it would be helpful if someone can clarify more on this.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back