Speaker recommendations please!
Jul 19, 2011 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

J Weakness

New Head-Fier
First post.  Noob here and looking for some recommendations and advice!

I've got a Sony 5.1 amp and looking to finally upgrade the speakers from the **** KLH ones I got free with it a looong time ago.  Here is the amp: http://www.google.com/search?aq=f&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Sony+STR-DE445

What are my options for speaker sizes and outputs in order to maximize my amp without falling too short or going way over?  I wouldn't consider myself an audiofile, but I have a strong passion for music.  I've played guitar for about 8 years, so I have a decent ear in that respect.  

I will be using this system for a few things:  with my laptop to play music from iTunes, Spotify; with an Audio-Technica turntable; and finally with a DVD/CD player connected through the digital input on the amp.  I've debated whether I should just got 2.1 or maintain 5.1...Any suggestions here?

I'm an unemployed recent college graduate, so my budget is somewhere in the mid range level!

Thanks for any advice you can provide me :)

-Joel

Jul 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #3 of 5
Hey Joel. Welcome to the forums!

I honestly would not recommend that you set up a 5.1 system if you are planning to listen to music from your computer. If you'd like, check out the NHT superzeros -- they're really enormous and great bang for the buck. They'll run you around $100 each, and in my experience need about 50watts to power them well. But it looks like your receiver outputs 80watts per channel, so you should be fine.

As for the superzeros, you'll need a subwoofer to go with them. They'll definitely be a major step up from what you have, though.

Here's a link so you can find out more about them: http://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/804

I'm actually selling my Superzeros, so if you live anywhere in/around the northern  Virginia area, let me know!

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 5
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/543792306/mirage-omd5?s_c=site_search

$135 for one if you buy open-box (no defects, just open-box). There's three different designs, all very pretty piano gloss finishes. They're meant for rear, but can definitely be used as fronts when paired with a subwoofer. The sound of omnipolar is very different from normal speakers, never laser-focused, maybe too spacious for your taste, but very adjustable sound field by moving it around the room. What I love about the omd series is they are very forgiving of upstream gear and lack of room treatment since they rely on reflected sound, just be willing to move them around in circles until you find their best spot in your room.

Jul 30, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #5 of 5
Check out magneplanar MMG's. You cant go wrong if you are looking at around $500/pair. Very addictive though. Thats the idea. Get you hooked for the higher end stuff. You can send them back if you dont like em. I have a pair. Completely modified. Hacked out the crossovers etc. That me. Crazy. I run em on about 50wpc -amp. Thats about minimum but does the job if you dont want concert level sound. One thing I can say is I havent thought about replacing them over the 10yrs or so that I've had em.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back