speaker recommendation
Jul 16, 2020 at 7:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bwanaaa

Head-Fier
Currently I have a pair of magnepan 3.7i driven by a pair of sanders magtech mono block amplifiers. These amps are rated to 2000w into 4 ohms and I have to be careful not to blow the fuses on the maggies . Preamp is a Schitt Freya +. The sound is superb. Until I set this system up, I really didn't know what people were talking about when they said they could 'see the instruments'. However, the room is large, 45' x 15' with a cathedral ceiling. Positioning the maggies 5' away from the back wall is no problem but they cannot fill the room. I added a pair of rhythmic subs and the lower end is better. The imaging does require proper positioning and seating. You cannot really have a good listening experience unless you are in the sweet spot. In addition, they are big and now with the subs, I am getting dirty looks from the boss of the house.

So I am looking for a pair floor standing speakers that can stand up to this room but that might be less imposing. The walls have heavy curtains, thick rug on the floor so echo is very well controlled. I listened to the B&W 802D but found then a little harsh. I have looked at (but not listened to) the Golden Ear Triton reference as well as the Triangle Magellan reference.

I mostly listen to vocals, jazz standards, and folk acoustic although I also put on some ambient when I am reading, cooking, etc. I am getting on in years and have noticed fall off in my ability to perceive the upper frequencies but still enjoy listening.

Which speakers would work well with my amps and this big room? I am looking for a bigger sweet spot (soundstage?) , more presence to fill the room a little better without losing the clarity, the realism and the quick response (articulate?) of the maggies.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #2 of 4
Well you didn't specify a budget so I will say Harbeth M40.2's.
Harbeth are known for having an electrostatic like clarity that is simply unavailable in any other dynamic speaker.They are a flat 8ohm speaker & will probably FEAST on your amps power,likely blowing out a wall or at least a window if not careful with the volume control...

Jul 18, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #3 of 4
Harbeth are known for having an electrostatic like clarity that is simply unavailable in any other dynamic speaker.They are a flat 8ohm speaker & will probably FEAST on your amps power,likely blowing out a wall or at least a window if not careful with the volume control...
thank you. 10k ish. maybe i can find a pair used. Though I've been looking at jbl m2 monitors as well as JRT speakers

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #4 of 4
I second that recommendation. I have the Harbeth M40.1 with a McIntosh MC452 (450 W/Ch) in a big room with a 20 ft. high ceiling. The Harbeths easily fill my big room and they image extremely well and disappear in the room. You probably won’t need a sub either. I had a sub with the smaller Harbeth SLH 5 and I found I didn’t need it when I upgraded to the M40.1. I use a McIntosh C2600 vacuum tube preamp with the SS MC452. You should be able to get a used M40.2 or M40.1 for around $8,000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back