Speaker recommendation under $200
Feb 27, 2015 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gamingfreak977

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I currently have a decent headphone setup with a O2 + ODAC paired with a pair of Philips Fidelio X1s for my computer audio but I'm starting to get a craving for some speakers.

Right now I'm looking at the Monoprice 5" 605500 since they seem to be pretty good for the money and I can pick them up from amazon.ca for under $200.

Is there anything else you guys would recommend while staying roughly around $200 and how would I go about hooking them up with my computer? I assume they would just plug straight into my dac but I'm not sure. Also would there be any downside to using a 3.5mm splitter to keep my headphones and speakers plugged in at the same time?

Thanks for any input.

Mar 4, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #2 of 8
If you could stretch to around $250 (US, I don't know about canadian) I would recommend audioengine stuff. They have pretty sarn good speakers, as far as computer audio goes, and they have (I think) RCA inputs, so you should be able to hook them up directly, if your o2/odac has RCA out.

Mar 4, 2015 at 11:13 PM Post #3 of 8
  If you could stretch to around $250 (US, I don't know about canadian) I would recommend audioengine stuff. They have pretty sarn good speakers, as far as computer audio goes, and they have (I think) RCA inputs, so you should be able to hook them up directly, if your o2/odac has RCA out.

I could afford the A2+ fairly easily but I'm also considering getting a pair of JBL LSR305s since they were on sale recently for $225 US for a pair but I barely missed it. If they go on sale for that again I'm going to go for those I think as they seem to come highly recommended.

My ODAC doesn't have RCA out but that can be solved with a cable so it shouldn't be an issue.

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 8
I'd skip the A2+ unless you have to have small speakers. Better to have speakers with larger drivers, like the Monoprice. Or even better, the LSR305s. The A2+ have artificially boosted upper midbass to make up for their bass roll off.

Another thing you might look for just to see what's available, is if there any used Paradigm speakers on the market. Paradigm is a Canadian company that makes awesome passive speakers. You might get lucky. Then pick up a t-amp to power them.

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 8
I'd skip the A2+ unless you have to have small speakers. Better to have speakers with larger drivers, like the Monoprice. Or even better, the LSR305s. The A2+ have artificially boosted upper midbass to make up for their bass roll off.

Another thing you might look for just to see what's available, is if there any used Paradigm speakers on the market. Paradigm is a Canadian company that makes awesome passive speakers. You might get lucky. Then pick up a t-amp to power them.

Anything in particular I should be looking for from Paradigm? I'm a bit wary of picking up used speakers as it's hard to tell what condition they might be in without testing them first.

If I do get lucky however which t-amp would you recommend without being too pricey? 

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 8
Anything in particular I should be looking for from Paradigm? I'm a bit wary of picking up used speakers as it's hard to tell what condition they might be in without testing them first.

If I do get lucky however which t-amp would you recommend without being too pricey? 
Paradigm Mini Monitors are good, but Paradigm tends to be on the bright side. Good detail, imaging, and vocals. I find the bass a bit flabby though, but it's by no means bad.

If you can pick up the older Performance Series 3SE those are good as well. Not as good as the Monitors in general. Tonal balance is warmer and smoother than the newer Paradigm models. Better bass, smoother vocals and highs, more scale/authority. Either of those would be good and can probably be found under $200 used.

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 8
Is there anything from futureshop.ca worth considering? I only ask because I have some gift cards left over from Christmas I could use there which would make buying some a little easier. The selection there doesn't seem too good though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back