speaker recommendation for a new stereo set-up
Oct 20, 2006 at 11:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

noypi

100+ Head-Fier
Hi, im currently looking for a new pair of speakers. budget is at 2000 usd +-250. As of now i want to know my choises.

Oct 20, 2006 at 11:49 AM Post #2 of 8
Floorstanders or bookshelfs?
What kind of power (amps) are you using?
How big is your room?
Other asst. gear?

Oct 20, 2006 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 8
DeVore Fidelity Gibbon 8
Rega R7

Oct 20, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #4 of 8
Some personal favorite brands to check out...

For home theater / music purposes, Boston Acoustics.

If you prefer an even more neutral reference sound, try studio monitors like the Dynaudio BM15A (at ~$2,500 / pair, so a bit out of your price range). They "tell it like it is." My studio uses a 5.1 setup with these covering the 5.0 portion and they sound wonderful.

Oct 21, 2006 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 8
Maybe you could find some Kef Reference 201s used or on close out. Properly driven, you actually have to toe them out a little depending upon setup. I love them, they give me a chubby when listening to them. And, yes, Dynaudio makes a hell of a speaker as well.

Oct 21, 2006 at 2:17 AM Post #7 of 8
Oct 26, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #8 of 8
Some of the smaller brands sound very good, but tend to have less resale value. So don't forget to give bigger brands a listen too (like Focal and B&W).

Judging by your headphones it seems you like a "bright" clean sound. I would not recomend Dynaudio because I find them "dark"=soft highs. I am guessing you would really like some of the Focals. They are very ballenced and extreamly clean sounding. They are a little thin on the bass though.

I listend to a lot of speakers and ended up with B&W 703s. Every brand has their flaws...my speakes are a little bright (much less than Grados...much more than senns) and have a very forward midrange/vocal (which I like you may not) and solid bass for there size. I paid $2600 for them.

Also the 703s have a much better midrange than the 704s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back