Speaker Prices Over The Years?
Jul 4, 2005 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Aman

Headphoneus Supremus
I have come across this estimate a few times now: Websites have told me that every decade, your speakers' original price doubles, so that if you bought a 200 dollar speaker in 1970, your speakers now, if they were new, would be worth around 800 dollars.

Is this at all accurate?

If so, I wouldn't be surprised, considering how fantastic my old vintage speakers sound compared to many newer models I've heard.

However, it seems a little bit far-fetched at the same time, and may just be used as a marketing ploy?

But what is getting me here is that I have these Ohm Model B speakers (as just about everybody knows
biggrin.gif
) and if I could just upgrade the parts (since Ohm sells all the parts that go inside the Ohm speakers that they ever made, but the parts are of higher quality) it would be much better and much more convenient than actually upgrading the speakers themselves.

Basically, the thread is two-fold:

1. Is this estimation accurate?
2. How hard would it be to replace a crossover and the tweeter/woofer in my speakers?

Thanks in advance guys.

Jul 7, 2005 at 6:06 PM Post #4 of 10
Attention to detail and a solid build something you do not get anymore from any mass production speaker and if you want it you will pay a premium for it.My speakers are sequentially numbered (seriual #) and have hand written the name of the guy who built them on the tag.
This could either be a blesssing or a curse.In my case I would buy the guy a beer but imagine if he screwed up what he would get ?If I opened them up and iside was a candy wrapper or something "hey jerky ! you the guy who left the candy wrapper in mu speakers ? I have two words for you......."
very_evil_smiley.gif

I would if at all possible bring the speaker back to full original glory.Not always a cheap solution but usually far less expensive than trying to purchase a complete system of equal performance.About the only thing i would look to changing is possibly the crossover caps which have come a long way since "the old days".Especially if they are those cheesy non polarised electrolytics.This alone can transform an out of date speaker to up to date sound.that and replace any iron core inductors with air core inductors and maybe,just maybe,update the internal wiring.
Every speaker I own (except for a couple of DIY speakers) is a vintage system and all fully restored (mostly cabinet and/or xo) and when mated to good triode gear or Class-A amplification will whip the heck out of any rationally priced competitor at far less cost.

Older speakers were considered furniture and meant to look good too
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSMR
I don't think so. Inflation isn't so much, and that rate would defy economics even if loudspeaker technology were not to improve.

Inflation is actually about that much. A really rough rule of thumb for US inflation is a doubling of price of commodity X per decade. A 1970s speaker that cost $200 then would therefore costs roughly $800 in the 1990s.

It's safer to assume most head-fiers are very young, but do you recall a can of soda costing $0.25 at the vending machine 20 years ago?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

It's safer to assume most head-fiers are very young, but do you recall a can of soda costing $0.25 at the vending machine 20 years ago?

Um........I remember maybe $0.10 in the machine and $0.07 at the counter 35 years ago
rolleyes.gif

Machine prices always "Round" up
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #7 of 10
Worse yet I remember 5¢ candy bars and gas prices as low as 22¢ per gallon. Back on track; today the speakers I have cost almost $6,000. The sound phenomenal and while I cringe a bit I guess they are worth it. I do not remember speakers 30 years ago approaching the quality of sound of today's. It may have had a lot to do with the other equipment, not all attributable to the speakers.

Jul 7, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #9 of 10
There's quite a lot of variables.

How many owners is a big one
Is there any physical damage
I wouldnt say the price increases unless you own a very rare and in-demand set.

Klipsch Heritage speakers cost a lot new and sell for quite cheaply on ebay, especially pre 1980 models. Yet bose sells very well on ebay.

It all depends on the demand, timing when you sell them, etc.

Like for example, Klipsch is refreshing their Heritage line this september for their 60th anniversary. Expect in august lots of klipsch heritage items going up on ebay, and probably will be sold for cheap.

-Joe

Jul 8, 2005 at 3:05 AM Post #10 of 10
Thanks for all the responses guys!

So instead of buying a new Ohm speaker, do you guys think that it may be better to just upgrade the drivers and crossover of my current speakers and get a new class A amp instead?
biggrin.gif

Thanks again guys!

By the way, here's a link to my speakers from the Ohm website:

http://www.ohmspeakers.com/store_ite...ID=77115592032

This also shows how much it costs to buy a new part for the speaker. Not bad, right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back