Speaker Pedestals
Jan 7, 2011 at 7:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Zafsk

Head-Fier
I'm re-arranging my room to make my audio set-up make a bit more sense, with a listening seat and speakers in their correct positions. I have a problem, well, more-so of a dilemma, but the speakers (pair of Acoustic Research 1969 AR-2x's) have been sitting on the ground for the last few months but they are supposed to be around 3-4 feet off the floor. So, I'm trying to figure out what would be the best way to have them lifted off the ground while also keeping aesthetics in mind.

I was thinking of building something myself, maybe with a granite base and a wood post and a platform on top of that with a slide-in for the speakers. I am posting here to mainly find out if there are any proper or ready-made pedestals for speakers.

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #2 of 2
There are numerous.  Just google speaker stands.

Main consideration is the stability, and lack of resonance in a stand. (Besides the obvious one, which is to position the midrange/tweeter at ear level)

Many are made hollow, to ship easily.  The end user fills them with sand/shot, making them substantial.

There are aesthetics to consider.  Many involve a heavy base, some columns up to the speaker platform, and a platform on top to stand the speaker on.  Some of the bases, when designed with a specific speaker in mind, will have a tilted platform to line up the woofer and tweeters in the vertical plane.  Usually there is some sort of lip on the back to prevent them from slipping off the back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back