speaker noise
Nov 19, 2001 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

yue

New Head-Fier
I bought a a pair of System Audio speaker
(http://www.audioreview.com/reviews/S...uct_8448.shtml)
last week, and I have been testing it with a Denon 1802, and a Arcam AVR-100 receiver. However the tweeter consistently emit a noticeable
level of noise.

I first thought it's the speaker wire's problem, so I borrowed a pair of $150
Audioquest CV-4 wire, but that didn't help the problem. Then I suspect the problem
might be with the power source, and bought a $200 Monster Power strip. That
didn't help either. The noise is not from the source (a pioneer elite DVD
changer), since the noise is emited even with souce powered off and
disattached. The noise exist as long as the receiver is powered on. It is
also unlikely to be the receiver's problem since the noise is emited with
either receiver attached, and both are highly rated recievers.

so, where could be the problem? Could it that that tweeters are damaged?
however, both tweeter emit about the same amount of noise.

Nov 19, 2001 at 5:00 AM Post #2 of 6
What kinda noise is it? Is it a hissing sound, or something nastier? Tweeters, or any other transducers, do not make noise on their own. If they are damaged, they'll usually sound either very bad when playing back something, or not work at all. Also, speaker amps (in amplifiers and the amplfier section of integrated components) usually are not as quiet as headphone amps because the distance from the speakers to the ears is much greater than that of a headphone setup. Usually, this is enough so that whatever low level noise like hissing is usually not heard.

Nov 19, 2001 at 6:06 AM Post #3 of 6
maybe it is hissing. I'm not sure how to say it as i'm new to the discussion. when i turn up the volume, the noise can be heard several feet away. maybe i'm too sensitive?

I thought i deserve something better than the noise when i finally decided to spend $1500 on the receiver and two speakers.

Nov 19, 2001 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 6
Sorry, but that hissing (a HISSSSSSS sound that increases linearly w/ volume, right?) is definitely coming from the amp section of the receivers. My Sirocco Crossfire amp & speakers do the same thing, as does one of my friend's Sony receiver & speakers. Fortunately, my Outlaw 1050 has not shown the same problem, at least not w/ the volume at reasonable levels.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2001 at 8:58 PM Post #5 of 6
Hmmm my 16 year old AR speakers might not be that sensitive but they were much hissier with an old Marantz integrated amp than the Audiosource amp I use now. Which when maxed would only have audible hiss if you put your head pressed up to the tweeters at which volumes would blow your head off anyhow if it actually played anything.

It could be speaker sensitivity/efficiency as well as the receivers. A lot of receivers are somewhat noisy IMO compared to dedicated stereo amps in my limited experience.

Hiss shouldn't be audible from your listening position with no music playing, but speaker hiss up close may be audible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back