Speaker n00b needs a little help.
Dec 22, 2006 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Predator88

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm looking to add speakers to my rig (just bought a $30 sonic impact t-amp). As you can tell by my amp I'm not looking to break the bank on this one. I do also own a 70s era JVC receiver thats fairly nice but needs a little maintenance before I'll use it regularly (Volume adjustment doesn't work well at all). Basically I'm looking for something under $100 that would go well with the T-amp. A smaller footprint with big sound would be nice if its doable.
While I know that my rig is certainly sub-par, I do want pretty nice sound quality. Bass should be fairly strong, while maintaining good clarity for everything else. Think something that sounds similar to my Alessandro MS1s. I've heard some good things about the insignias from best buy and I have $20 in gift cards to there. So something available at best buy would be preferred but not necessary. I'll keep researching, but some recommendations of what to look at would be great.

Dec 22, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 12
Yea judging by anything I just read about these they sound absolutely fantastic and might serve as inspiration for fixing up that receiver so I could have a 70s era stereo setup. Now to find some in good condition....

Oh and has anyone tried out the Sony SS-MB350H's? i read a review that compared them pretty favorably to the Dynaco's but didn't really see any info on the forums.

Dec 23, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #6 of 12
My little T-amp came in the mail today and it really is awesome (for a $30 price tag nonetheless). This little guy feels like he wants to run and be loud though....even more incentive to force my purchase. Thanks for all the replies guys, now I'm really starting to wonder about all these different bookshelf speakers available. Anyone know which ones in my price range would pack the most bass impact? Obviously I've read great things about the A-25s but am still not sure of the rest.

Dec 23, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #8 of 12
^ They sound extremely muddy and boomy.

Dec 24, 2006 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 12
Alright quick question for anyone who's heard the insignias. What headphone would you compare them to? (I know theres the whole thread that I ought to read in its entirety but I'm on my way out the door at the moment).

Dec 24, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 12
They're no where near the HD555's, thats for sure. They're better than Ipod ear phones though, but thats not saying much. It's hard to compare that way since it's a whole different experience.

Dec 24, 2006 at 1:51 AM Post #11 of 12
Well yea obviously crappy speakers can sometimes be ok depending on the setting whereas crappy headphones are always crappy headphones. Basically I need somethign thats lively and fun like the MS1s are for me. I listen to pretty much everything with an emphasis on rock. Movies would also be big on the list of uses.

Dec 24, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back