Speaker damage from cellphone interference
Aug 20, 2011 at 11:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

WrxSTI

100+ Head-Fier
Well, I swear one of these days I'm gonna kick this **** thing right out the balcony...here's what happened, I was working on something around the monitor and I needed to light something up so I used my cellphone's flashlight and when I finished I put it down right on top of my left speaker...yes, dumbest move ever, but I completely forgot and it didn't occur to me whatsoever what might happen in the following seconds...

I moved a couple of feet away to isolate some wire and at that moment the person must have received a signal from the station or something, and you know how that always causes interference when the cell phone is near the speaker...well imagine what happens when the cellphone is on top of a 140W speaker... It was so loud that I dropped everything that I was doing, covered my ears and ran 10 ft away before I could turn around to figure out What was happening...

I turned everything off as fast as I could but that was probably after the phone signal already stopped... the speakers are turned down on the volume as low as possible but still, I'm wondering if something could have damaged? It was terribly loud. I tried playing some music now and everything -seems- OK but I'm still worried... sigh.

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #2 of 3
most cellphones emit enough EMI at close range like that to make any amplified source go nuts during a high power transmission.  Everything should be fine since it was transient, just remember next time... :)

GSM is notorious for doing this, I see you are in croatia (that is what they have there from a quick bit of research).  The 1900 MHz band is limited to 1W (30 dBM) output power on a handset.  I have played with some in a lab and never observed more than 500 mW (27 dBM).  Either way what I am trying to get across is this is normal due to the large output power and EMI created by a cell phone at point blank range like that.

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #3 of 3
Very good, thank you for the info, I'll be careful in the future...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back