Speaker choice...
Dec 23, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #16 of 17
Not to hijack the OP, but since some of you mentioned DIY...just had a few questions. I've been mainly looking at partsexpress.com for DIY components but when you design your speaker...bookshelves for instance, do you follow someone else's design that has been posted up? Deciding on type of enclosure, crossover, filling etc. etc. I'm curious because they sell the speaker building software and such for around 100 bucks and I'm seeing if that's necessary or even if the speaker testing software that hooks directly up to the woofer. Thanks, I'm a newb at this.

Jan 10, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by endless402 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
check out canuckaudiomart for cdn sellers

rc70's are overkill...havent found a 4 way speaker that i like yet. it's quite difficult to integrate that many drivers. most, at that price range, have a sloppy bass, though loud and deep

stick with 3 way unless you have a massive room and a giant amp

I'd like to throw out the Dynaudio DAK 4-210 as a candidate for the best DIY speaker value of all time, if a kit counts, and probably great value if you can find a pair. Good luck finding a pair, as this is the only speaker I have been unable to find ANY net info or reference to. Circa 1985 vintage, and mine are still going strong with only a new set of surrounds about 5 years ago for the 30 W-54 woofers. 28-40,000k (3db down point) and ruler flat from about 45 to well past 20K if the included frequency response graph is accurate. I'm generally in agreement on the "less is more" on number of drivers, but these 4-ways are pretty impressive. There was NOTHING in 1985 that came close to these for the money ($650/pair assembled, I believe) IMHO....as long as MDF finish was good enough....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back