Speaker audiophile looking to convert to headphones.
Dec 3, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #16 of 21
  Are headphones specific for movies/ and or music?  If I upgrade to an oppo 105 Ill keep them in the movie room.  I had planned on setting up a dedicated spot in the office but if I could use them for both that would be great.

The 105 is a great machine--but far from cheap.

You will have to match it with cans it will drive.  It certainly won't drive the HE-6 (few amps do).  Further--as much as I like it and the HE-500, their sound stages is too small for your purposes.

If you have sufficient interest, I can try my 105 with a number of cans (including the HD 800 and T1) and let you know how well it powers them.  When listening to movies, I usually use the AKG Q 701--because of its large sound stage and long cable that comes with it.

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #17 of 21
Should I really be looking at two different pair for movies and music then?  Having never owned good headphones I probably wouldnt know the difference right off hand in crappy headphones but ive done enough upgraditus with everything else that Id like to do it right the first time on this.

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #19 of 21
  Should I really be looking at two different pair for movies and music then?  Having never owned good headphones I probably wouldnt know the difference right off hand in crappy headphones but ive done enough upgraditus with everything else that Id like to do it right the first time on this.

My default answer is no.  However, that could change, depending on your sound signature preference (mostly for music) and your budget.

I'd start by considering the AKG Q 701, which is a super value for its current price of about $220.

Dec 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #21 of 21
  Where is the best place to buy them?  I see on Amazon some people were getting versions Made in China instead of Austria.

I would assume you can no longer get the Q701 "Made in Austria", unless you buy used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back