Speaker audiophile looking to convert to headphones.
Dec 3, 2013 at 1:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

firebrick

New Head-Fier
Ive spent a lot of time in my movie/music room listening to sacd's and dvd-audio.  I have some decent equipment, speakers and a seaton sound submervise sub that puts me in audio heaven when I have the sound cranked.  I especially like my surround sound discs.   Now that I have a 2 year old and one on the way I can never stay up and crank my music since his room is directly above my theater room.  Id like to try to get the same visceral feeling from headphones as I get from my speakers.  But I know nothing about headphones.  I have a nice cd/dvd player I plan to use but have no idea what other equipment I need to get good surround sound representation and bone chilling low frequency.  If I have a couple grand to spend, what do I need to buy.  A couple of recommendations would be great for headphones and equipment and I can research from there!  Thanks!

Dec 3, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 21
Headphones are not capable of giving you surround sound or bass that you can feel in your chest.  They can provide an excellent stereo sound stage--albeit different from speakers--and fantastic extension and clarity.

If they fall within your budget, I suggest that you look into the Senn HD 800 and Beyer T1.  Both need a quality amp.

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 21
The closest to speaker sound in headphones is the AKG K1000..oh well, they are considered earspeakers

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 21
  Ive spent a lot of time in my movie/music room listening to SA-CD's and DVD-Audio.  I have some decent equipment, speakers and a Seaton sound submervise sub that puts me in audio heaven when I have the sound cranked.  I especially like my surround sound discs.   Now that I have a 2 year old and one on the way I can never stay up and crank my music since his room is directly above my theater room.  I'd like to try to get the same visceral feeling from headphones as I get from my speakers.  But I know nothing about headphones.  I have a nice cd/dvd player I plan to use but have no idea what other equipment I need to get good surround sound representation and bone chilling low frequency.  If I have a couple grand to spend, what do I need to buy.  A couple of recommendations would be great for headphones and equipment and I can research from there!  Thanks!

I'm assuming you have an A/V receiver or a Pre-out connected to amplifiers, to drive your surround sound setup?
Detail on the audio hardware please.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #9 of 21
Older pioneer elite equipment. The DVD player is a DVD-59-avi and a 56txi receiver.

Headphones you can plug straight into the Pioneer's headphone jack.
Beyerdynamic DT880 Premium 600-Ohm headphones (semi-open), nice balanced sound.
Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 600-Ohm headphones (full open), stronger bass and treble, but mids are still clear.

Sennheiser HD600 (300-Ohm) or HD650 (300-Ohm) headphones.

Are you connecting the 59-AVI to the 56TXI using analog RCA or S/PDIF (optical & coaxial)?
Or have you tried both?

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:28 PM Post #10 of 21
Ive been having issues with the 56txi so was actually looking to swap it out for new.  I wont be using the 59avi in the theater as I have an oppo.  Im looking to do a dedicated system for some headphones that I can just sit and relax and listen to at night.  Ill be using the 59avi for all my dvd/cd music so I will need an amp for the headphones.  Should I be looking for any particular amp to go with the 59?  It has analog, digital and the first version of hdmi(no video) for audio outs.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 21
  Ive been having issues with the 56txi so was actually looking to swap it out for new.  I wont be using the 59avi in the theater as I have an oppo.  Im looking to do a dedicated system for some headphones that I can just sit and relax and listen to at night.  Ill be using the 59avi for all my dvd/cd music so I will need an amp for the headphones.  Should I be looking for any particular amp to go with the 59?  It has analog, digital and the first version of hdmi(no video) for audio outs.

Which Oppo do you have?  The 83SE, 95 and 105 has separate stereo RCA outputs which you can use to plug in a headphone amp.  The 105 has a nice built in headphone amp that will power most headphones.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:38 PM Post #12 of 21
  Ive been having issues with the 56txi so was actually looking to swap it out for new.  I wont be using the 59avi in the theater as I have an oppo.  I'm looking to do a dedicated system for some headphones that I can just sit and relax and listen to at night.  Ill be using the 59avi for all my dvd/cd music so I will need an amp for the headphones.  Should I be looking for any particular amp to go with the 59?  It has analog, digital and the first version of hdmi(no video) for audio outs.

Are all the DVD-Audio disks you own stereo 2-channel, I believe there are a few surround sound DVD-Audio disks.

I've been using an Audio-GD NFB-15.32 external DAC/Amp for the past month.
Dual DAC chips and It has S/PDIF (optical & coaxial) and USB inputs.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #13 of 21
  Ive spent a lot of time in my movie/music room listening to sacd's and dvd-audio.  I have some decent equipment, speakers and a seaton sound submervise sub that puts me in audio heaven when I have the sound cranked.  I especially like my surround sound discs.   Now that I have a 2 year old and one on the way I can never stay up and crank my music since his room is directly above my theater room.  Id like to try to get the same visceral feeling from headphones as I get from my speakers.  But I know nothing about headphones.  I have a nice cd/dvd player I plan to use but have no idea what other equipment I need to get good surround sound representation and bone chilling low frequency.  If I have a couple grand to spend, what do I need to buy.  A couple of recommendations would be great for headphones and equipment and I can research from there!  Thanks!

You're the perfect candidate for a Hifiman HE-6. You can run it right off the speaker taps, so no extra amp costs are necessary. If the HE-6 is too rich for your blood, then go with the HE-500. :)

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #14 of 21
The oppo is an 83 although if the new 105 will work then I may upgrade.  Regarding my dvd-audio and sacd's, they are surround or 2 channel.  I have some that are great for surround, but 2 channel will be fine if it means I get to listen to them again while the kids asleep.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:53 PM Post #15 of 21
Are headphones specific for movies/ and or music?  If I upgrade to an oppo 105 Ill keep them in the movie room.  I had planned on setting up a dedicated spot in the office but if I could use them for both that would be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back