Speaker Amps: or how I learned to stop worrying and love the power
Feb 23, 2009 at 12:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Dr. Strangelove

100+ Head-Fier
Well with my K701s out of commission I started researching new headphones to buy. At the time I had a 336i with upgraded tubes. I figured on a sextett, then wanted a K340. I finally settled on a vintage AT electret.

At first I decided to finance this new purchase with the sale of my DarkVoice. I would budget for a millet SS hybrid and cans. However, when I started reading about the 340, it was mentioned that one could use speaker amps to drive headphones. After some more reading it made sense: a driver is a driver is a driver. There might be differences here and there, but they work the same. So why shouldn't an amp designed for speakers power headphones just fine? If anything it should do it with ease as a high impedance keeps power usage low, which means your headphones don't burn to a crisp.

Before my 701s went out, I bought a vintage Mitsubishi DA-A10DC. Figure it like a vintage hi-fi dual monoblock, 100w in to 8ohm. I decided that this amplifier would serve the purpose of driving my headphones.

The AudioTechnicas are coming from Canada, which seems to have shipping that is dead slow and I'm growing quite impatient with my lack of hi-fi cans (701s are my only pair). To satisfy the need for good audio (my klipsch sound nice but they are not headphones) I wire up the working 701 cup to my speaker terminals. At first I was afraid of blowing my amp or destroying the headphones.... so I turned the receiver all the way down and the amp's gains down. I turned the gains up a little, I could hear sound. I turned up the receiver to about -50 db. Then I turned up the gains on the amp... all the way.

My god...

This thing can get so loud! With so much ease! No straining like the DV after 12 o'clock volume, I can just increase and increase and the volume gets louder and louder (though I keep it at sane levels hah). The bass goes lower, the highs go higher. There is an amazing amount of detail. I am not sure if I have just forgotten how the DV sounded, or if I am just hearing good amplification. 1812 overture with the cannons... amazing force on this setup.
Dear lord this is just with one driver! No imaging no panning no placement in the least... Imagine how two would sound in stereo on this thing...

I have only ever heard the DarkVoice with 701s. I do not know what other headamps or cans sound like. However, I really do not see my self upgrading for a long time, if at all in terms of headphone amps. I would rather get some Bryston Monoblocks vs a dedicated headamp. Then I could power both speakers and headphones.
Anyway, I think I will order an adapter from BJC and bring this thing to the Portland meet. Will be interesting to hear other cans on it me thinks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back