Speaker Advice Needed
Jan 31, 2008 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Vinsanity

New Head-Fier
Before I make any rash moves on speakers, I thought I'd consult some knowledgeable people. I'm looking for a new pair of bookshelf/mini-monitor type speakers that will make me happy for many years to come.

I'm setting a tentative upper limit of around $1000 for a pair and so far I'm leaning towards a pair of B&W CM2s. They're a discontinued model, so I can get a good price on them, and as far as I can tell they're nearly identical to the new CM1s. I've given them a listen in a store and was very pleased.

However, I find myself always drawn to the B&O Beolab 4s because they're gorgeous, fit nicely in my room and have a really good sound and power for their size. The hesitation is of course, that I'll end up paying dearly for the B&O make (something that doesn't make me that sad though...).

Other than that, I can't find any definitive reports of speakers that are similar, available and provide the same level of ear candy.

Being slightly and audiophile noob, I'd greatly appreciate any guidance.

Jan 31, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #2 of 7
I would shop around and audition as many models as you can. And bring your own CD's to listen to so that you can hear what the speakers can do with YOUR music.
That said if I was going to spend a grand on a pair of bookshelves I would be looking for PARADIGM "Studio" series speakers.

Jan 31, 2008 at 10:47 AM Post #3 of 7
definitely bring your own music, and try to remember what other components you are listening to at the same time so you can try to keep things as even as possible. Once you have narrowed your choices down to a couple see if the dealers will allow for an in home trial.

Also, don't be afraid to buy internet direct. Most offer a great return policy. av123 has some new speakers that look promising.

Jan 31, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #5 of 7
Yep, best TV show ever.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 1, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 7
Back on topic. I've owned a gazillion sets of speakers and I have three brands in my home right now. Soundlab Electrostatics, my home grown, and a great pair of Paradigms.

I don't say that lightly, I have 5 rooms in my home fully equipped with 5.1 & 7.1 surround sound systems.

Also audition the B&W's, Tannoy and NHT's. By all means take your music and listen to what you will be listening to. Find what you like and then get them off of Audiogon used.

Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back