Speak Up if you like New Wave and 80s Alternative!
Feb 9, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tru blu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I picked up the double-LP The Name of This Band is…Talking Heads about a month ago. Think I had it on cassette way back when...boy, does it sound great on vinyl. I saw an Elvis Costello/Squeeze double bill in 1980; also saw T-Bone Burnett open one of Costello's shows a few years later.

…crazy about the Psychedelic Furs (that greatest hits thing, All Of This and Nothing, is ridiculously good), the B-52s and Blondie, but then I'm from New York (isn't it the law?)…btw, as postpunk landmarks go, nothing (and I mean, nothin') beats Television's Marquee Moon.

I still need to get Marquee Moon. I have Adventure, because my local store had a copy... I will just go ahead and pick this up on Amazon already.

There is a Talking Heads dual-disc box set which is supposed to have the best mastering (relative to the other releases thus far). It has 5.1 mixes along with stereo, which would be interesting to hear. I want to get a set before I forget, and before they get pricey (some day).

http://www.amazon.com/Talking-Heads/...4210634&sr=1-1

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:22 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talking Heads considered post punk? Atleast their earliest stuff? One of my favorite bands of all time.

Yep, Talking Heads is part of that era very much so. I see someone mentioned Fad Gadget already and I have to say I still listen to him a lot still. Fireside Favourites and Incontinent get regular rotation on my playlist. I started to make apost of all the groups I have that fit into that era and style but then realized it was too time consuming because I have quite a lot.

I see no one has mentioned Ultravox yet. Their early music is very good.

Feb 9, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #18 of 35
There really are so many bands I listen to from this genre. Television's Marquee Moon truly is a superb album.

I also listen to a lot of the Fixx, the Bolshoi, Space Monkey, and Cabaret Voltaire. Great music.

Feb 10, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #22 of 35
Quote:

as postpunk landmarks go, nothing (and I mean, nothin') beats Television's Marquee Moon.

Epic album, definitely ahead of it's time IMO.

Feb 10, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #23 of 35
Damn, I was compiling an extensive list for you Philimon and closed my reply page by accident and it takes too long to compile such a list to start over. I'll add just a few more that I think are decent and you may also enjoy.

Japan/David Sylvian
Teardrop Explodes/Julian Cope
Wire/Colin Newman
Souxsie & the Banshees
Theatre of Hate/Spear of Destiny
Talk Talk
The The

Feb 10, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #24 of 35
Just been transferring a lot of my 12” singles to MP3. I’ve got loads of stuff including music by
Caberet Volaire, Belouis Some, Big Country, Talking Heads, Pigbag, The Cure, Shreikback, Bauhaus, The Smiths, Spear of Destiny, The Levellers, Theatre of Hate, Joy Division, Simple Minds, China Crisis, New Model Army and Cocteau Twins. Some of it sounds really dated, but it’s amazing how much still sounds fresh.
The early 80’s was a magical time for me, musically. A sort of coming of age, when I’d forget what I should be liking and listened to anything and everything. I even got a bit into the New Jazz stuff such as Courtney Pine, Wynton Marsalis and Andy Shepherd.

Feb 10, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #25 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is a Talking Heads dual-disc box set which is supposed to have the best mastering (relative to the other releases thus far). It has 5.1 mixes along with stereo, which would be interesting to hear. I want to get a set before I forget, and before they get pricey (some day).

Amazon.com: Talking Heads: Talking Heads: Music

I have that box. Worth every penny. (The SQ on all the discs is awesome, but True Stories in particular is among my all-time reference discs. The swirling percussion on Papa Legba is my favorite stereo imaging test/demo.)

Feb 11, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #28 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, I was compiling an extensive list for you Philimon and closed my reply page by accident and it takes too long to compile such a list to start over. I'll add just a few more that I think are decent and you may also enjoy.

Japan/David Sylvian
Teardrop Explodes/Julian Cope
Wire/Colin Newman
Souxsie & the Banshees
Theatre of Hate/Spear of Destiny
Talk Talk
The The

Thank you. I am sad that you lost your list again. So far - there is a ton of stuff in this thread already that I am liking a lot. And some of it I already have, but mostly not. I have already added some to my Amazon wish list.
I think my girlfriend is going to buy me the Talking Heads box set for valentines, so I am going to wait and see on that before I buy anything else (its on the top of my list). I also keep a music wish list on my blackberry for when I go to the local used record store (to help me remember which albums and from which labels, etc., in particular I wanted). List just got longer.

Good to hear about the box set intoart. I only hope that the dual-discs aren't difficult to read on my computer. I have a Macbook and supposedly the slim, non-tray type CD/DVD drive can have difficult times with the thicker dualdiscs.

Yeah crygor - I'm listening to Minutemen's Double Nickels on the Dime right now. Great stuff.

Feb 11, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunseeker888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey all. Been listening to NW/post-punk stuff exclusively for a while now. Some of my favorites are Magazine, Gene Loves Jezebel, Fad Gadget, New Musik, Oingo Boingo, the Chills, and the Psychedelic Furs. Too many more to mention!

Last week I picked up a never-before-opened LP by Mi-Sex. Side A is "Computer Games" and B is "Graffiti Crimes". These sound incredible through my Grados BTW.

So what are some of your favorites? I'm very open to hearing about modern bands that sound like new wave too, since I know virtually no new music.
devil_face.gif

It certainly helps that most of this music is well-recorded and since it's forgotten for the most part, the record stores are practically giving away clean used copies!

O K in spite of a nasty sore throat, I'll speak up.

I was Listening to the ipod today on the way to the post office, enjoying early Depeche Mode, Yaz and lesser extent, Erasure. I think the common thread to these has to be Vince Clarke. And you can throw in that single by the Assembly with Clarke and Feargal Sharkey - Never, Never. (What a great tune to howl at the moon with on a lonely Saturday night.) That stuff is little more electronic than the music you mentioned, but it still can't be put into any other decade than the 80s.

The Retro: Active Rare and remixed cds by High Bias have some good tunes though they may be mastered a little loud for some. I can only recommend 1-4, as these are the ones I own.

http://www.amazon.com/Rare-Remixed-R...4314279&sr=8-3

Feb 11, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

The Pretenders.…discuss.

The Pretenders immediately come to mind when I hear the words New Wave. Especially Talk of the Town-I think it's from their second album. Heard that song on the radio way back and never forgot it. Like it much more than Brass in Pocket and Stop Your Sobbing. It's too bad I have none of their stuff. That's a very large hole in my music collection that will hopefully be filled in the coming year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back