SPDIF Reader?
Feb 15, 2009 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Zorlac

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone know of some sort of device that accepts a SPDIF (Coax/Optical) input and then reads the data (outputs it to a display) in order to verify bit perfect output from a source (i.e. sound card)??? You would think this would be a common device that audiophiles would be purchasing considering how many bit perfect threads are started on the web....

The only test I have read about is downloading a DTS wav file and hooking your SPDIF to a AV receiver.

I am simply looking for a small test instrument that I can plug my SPDIF into and verify. Would some place like Radio Shack have such a device?

Arent you guys sicks of just assuming you are achieving bit perfect output on your PC into your DAC? I dont want to assume anymore.

Feb 15, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #3 of 4
I still think that is too much work. There has got to be some sort of test equipment that will read each bit in a S/PDIF frame to tell you information about the source signal.

Is it possible to run the S/PDIF out directly to the S/PDIF in on the same sound card and then use some sort of software to read the signal info? If so, what software is out there? I looked into RMAA, but it doesnt seem like it would give you word-length, sample rate, number of channels, etc.

Feb 15, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorlac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still think that is too much work. There has got to be some sort of test equipment that will read each bit in a S/PDIF frame to tell you information about the source signal.

I'm not aware of any but wouldn't be surprised if such kind of equipment was available (for an according price, I'm afraid), however, this won't help you to investigate whether or not the data is bit transparent or not. There are devices which adulterate the data via S/PDIF while still sending "valid data" per se, according to the standard. Hence there is no way to tell if the data is really correct unless one is able to compare the received S/PDIF data to one transmitted through a different way (DAE or another S/PDIF source for instance).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back