SPDIF out to coaxial input?
Oct 29, 2007 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jesselussier

100+ Head-Fier
My laptop has two jacks that say "SPDIF out" above them. Does this mean I can connect my laptop to my ibasso D1 from the SPDIF out to the D1 coaxial input? And if so, what cable / attachments do I need?

I've been reading a bit and it seems like I might need a banana plug, I was wondering if someone could confirm this for me.

Thanks

Oct 29, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #2 of 6
What type of spdif jack does your laptop have? It wouldn't be a banana jack, so it is probably either a rca or a mini-jack. If the jack is the same as the coaxial rca on the ibasso then you need a standard 75 ohm digital cable which has standard rca's terminating it. On the other hand if your laptop has an spdif 1/8" mini jack - like a mini headphone jack - then you will need a 1/8" to rca cable similar to the one shown here.

For cables, Blue Jeans Cable has about any configuration you could ever need and makes great quality cables at very reasonable prices.

Oct 29, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #3 of 6
Ahhh, I see now
rolleyes.gif
. My laptop has a mini jack spdif. And when using the spdif out on the laptop it will bypass the laptops DAC and use the D1's correct?

Thanks a lot.

Oct 29, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #4 of 6
A minijack SPDIF can be either optical or electrical (as in RCA).
I have a miniplug optical SPDIF output on my laptop, which I use to connect to the TOSLINK on my external DAC. If yours are optical or not I don't know...

Oct 29, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 6
Wow, I'm learning something new here everyday. Hmmm, I'm pretty sure mine is electrical, but I'll have to double check. Thanks for all the help everyone, especially with all my noob questions.

Jesse

Nov 2, 2007 at 3:01 PM Post #6 of 6
Ok, so I'm an idiot, I just found out that my computer has an optical spdif outpout.

Now I have a problem. I hooked it up to my D1 via an optical toslink cable and it works, but it doesn't sound good. It almost sounds like a really crappy mp3 is playing. I'm sure it's the computer because when I unplug from the computer and plug into my H140 it sounds fine. Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back