SPDIF optical sound differences
Mar 1, 2012 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

villageidiot

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm currently running a x fi titanium > (optical out) nfb 3.1 > fiio e9.

Now, my question lies within setting the 'default device' (found inside the sounds option); there are two options that sound quite different - the 'speakers' and the 'spdif out'. If I set the default device as 'speakers' the sound can sound quite different and I have the ability to use creative's EQ and bass boost etc.

But here's the dilemma - if I set the default device as 'speakers' will my NFB 3.1 or creative x fi be doing the actual converting? And if I choose to use this option - wouldn't my NFB 3.1 become redundant?

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #2 of 8
Speakers will bypass the optical.  You are not hearing the optical SPDIF at that point.  You would be hearing the speakers plugged into your XFi card from it's DAC and amp section.  Optical bypasses the XFi DAC and feeds the external DAC.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 8
So the optical cable is the only thing plugged to the sound card and you get sound when not using the optical output?  That should not be possible.  Optical cannot transmit analog signals if the XFi is using it's DAC.  Unless you have omitted some facts you have achieved the impossible.  You have something plugged in somewhere on your PC, maybe onboard sound or USB whatever.

(speakers = analog output to source chain+headphones or speakers from E9)

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 8
On the sounds window found on windows 7 (the playback tab) I can choose either to use the 'speakers' or 'spdif out' as my 'default device'. I know it sounds weird, but it's true - I'm getting two different sound signatures from each option.

I know that it can't be anything else because that optical cable is the only thing connecting to that sound card (and for that matter, my PC); there are no other sound cables or devices connecting to the interfaces found on my computer.

But that is besides the point anyway, I just wanted to know why both sound so different from each other and why I have the ability to use some of the audio enhancements found in x-fi's volume panel (their EQ and bass controls etc) when I select 'speakers' as my default device.

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #6 of 8
Well, the only thing I can think of is 'speakers' is allowing the PC to modify the signal using the XFi's hardware and software and still sending it to your external chain in digital form or it could be giving you PC control and your levels and settings aren't matched to what they would be feeding the external DAC an unmolested signal.

Right click on your speakers and select properties, what does the jack info say under general tab?

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 8
It says LR, SL SR, C SUB and RL RR - all 3.5mm jacks.

And the optical one only says L R Rear panel optical jack.

The thing is - I just spent $400 on the external DAC(nfb 3.1 with an extra chip) and I still kind of prefer the x fi 'speakers' option more than the 'SPDIF out'. If that's the case - wouldn't that mean I kind of blew my cash?

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 8
My two cents (guessing).
I believe normally S/PDIF just passes a digital audio signal from one device or another.
Creative cards can take the digital audio signal sent to it by your Windows OS, modify it, then send it down the S/PDIF.
Your Windows OS recognizes the Creative card as the "Speaker" output,
When Windows is set to "S/PDIF" output, it sends the digital audio signal straight to the S/PDIF, bypassing the sound card (Creative).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back