SPDIF input to PC under $125
Nov 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

brunk

Headphoneus Supremus
As the thread title suggests, I am looking for a way to input SPDIF to my PC. I will be digitizing my LPs. I already have an A/D converter.

Requirements:

1) under $125
2) must be bit-perfect
3) 24/96 minimum sample rate

I don't really care if it's an internal or external soundcard. USB would be nice but not a deal breaker. I would also prefer 24/192, but that isn't a deal breaker either. Cheaper the better.

Thanks Head-Fi'ers!

beerchug.gif

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #2 of 7
M-Audio Delta series. Several I/O configurations to choose from. Off hand I believe 3 will meet your budget. This one probably fits your needs the most:

http://maudio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile192.html

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #3 of 7
  M-Audio Delta series. Several I/O configurations to choose from. Off hand I believe 3 will meet your budget. This one probably fits your needs the most:

http://maudio.com/products/en_us/Audiophile192.html

That does look like a great recommendation, but unfortunately i see they have discontinued those products. I don't want something that is end-of-life fresh out of the box 
redface.gif
 Thank you though.

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 7
I believe the Creative labs Titanium (non-HD) sound card comes with a S/PDIF optical input (2-channel only, no DDL support).
You can usually find a used Titanium non-HD for around $50, on eBay.

Nov 21, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 7
  unfortunately i see they have discontinued those products. I don't want something that is end-of-life fresh out of the box 
redface.gif
 Thank you though.

I believe you're correct. Actually, I e-mailed M-Audio today to confirm because I'm working on a build and I'm considering that card for several reasons, input being one of them. My biggest concern is future driver support and PCI becoming legacy technology. Anyway... FWIW, I've used a Delta 1010 in my studio for 11 years with no problems. Great value. I recorded hundreds of synth pads/stabs/basses and 12" records with that card. People were happy with the sound quality of my recordings. However, M-Audio is a different company now. Who knows? My point is, one might be able to squeeze 10 years out of that card. For $93.00, that's not a bad deal.

Nov 22, 2013 at 5:41 AM Post #6 of 7
The Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD is what I use to digitize my LP's. It will accept optical S/PDIF input or analog and convert to bit and sampling rate desired using Creative software. I prefer Roxio software but it only receives a 16/44 signal..The X-FI HD is less than $100. I also use it as a USB to S/PDIF converter to send iTunes to HT. 

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #7 of 7
  The Creative Sound Blaster X-FI HD is what I use to digitize my LP's. It will accept optical S/PDIF input or analog and convert to bit and sampling rate desired using Creative software. I prefer Roxio software but it only receives a 16/44 signal..The X-FI HD is less than $100. I also use it as a USB to S/PDIF converter to send iTunes to HT. 

Thank you sterling1. This was exactly what i was looking for, including my 'wishlist' features. Found it for $85 too so it was a no-brainer. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back