Spdif HAT For RPI - Allo Digione, JustBoom, or Hifiberry DigiPro2
Feb 4, 2023 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Grendelrt

Head-Fier
I was looking for a source that could do my local library plus streaming and stumbled upon PiCorePlayer. Pulled out my old Pi2b and am up and running. Issue is I need the USB input for my PC and I read older pi's USB output isn't great. So I found these spdif hats and started researching. Not sure I want to spend 110 for the allo when it looks like the Hifiberry DigiPro2 might be pretty similar. Any experience or advice? This will be going to a Bifrost 1 that I think preferred spdif over USB anyways. Is this also considered a pretty good source?

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #2 of 5
I'm using Allo DigiOne in one of the setups and it's very good. Can't compare to other HATs, unfortunately. I used to have Schiit Eitr (USB to SPIDIF convertor), which sounded exactly the same to my ears (feeding from RaspberryPi 3), but from ease of use point of view, HAT is more elegant (less cables, clutter).

Feb 5, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 5
I'm using Allo DigiOne in one of the setups and it's very good. Can't compare to other HATs, unfortunately. I used to have Schiit Eitr (USB to SPIDIF convertor), which sounded exactly the same to my ears (feeding from RaspberryPi 3), but from ease of use point of view, HAT is more elegant (less cables, clutter).
Thanks for the reply!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back