SPDIF DAC (Output from WD HD Media Player)
Sep 30, 2009 at 10:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SethSil

New Head-Fier
I would like to listen to my movies with the sound from the SPDIF output on my headphones since the built in DAC isn't very good. The thing is, I don't own an amplifier. I was thinking about something like this DAC paired with my CMOY headphone amp

ULTRA-SMOOTHIE S/PDIF DAC

So basically, WD HD media player SPDIF -> Ultra smoothie SPDIF DAC (outputs RCA/headphone) -> CMOY -> headphones

the wolfson DAC is the same one they use on the onkyo "audiophile" cd player, I noticed. I have some HD555s, I'm just looking to upgrade the sound for kind of cheap.

But also, I would like to eventually use this DAC for my laptop computer. Could I pair a cheap USB to SPDIF converter and get good sound? I don't think this thing has a DAC, it's just the converter. THE DAC i would use would be the ULTRA SMOOTHIE.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HA-INFO-NG-C...d=p3286.c0.m14

I really like the versatility of this setup... am I being logical? Is there something off or some change I should make? I don't have an amp or have speakers btw, and dont exactly have the money or serious interest in that investment. should I just invest in some USB DAC with an SPDIF input right away? I don't know when I will be using the wolfson DAC with USB, so the appeal of this setup is that I can just use it for my WD HD media player now and later on if I want to use it with my laptop I can just buy the converter.

Let me know

Sep 30, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #2 of 7
Well what would your budget be? The Audio-GD Compass is on promo right now for $280 + shipping and integrates a high quality DAC (optical, coaxial, and usb inputs) with a headphone amplifier so you could kill two birds with one stone. Upgrading your headphones will honestly make the biggest difference though and you could run it through the RCA outputs with an adapter until you could buy a DAC / amp.

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #3 of 7
The compass is a way better deal as you'd have to spend a lot more to get something better than it. The iBasso D2+ at $190 shipped is great as a compact wolfson 8740 usb dac/mini amp.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #5 of 7
Shall I spare you the obligatory "Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet" ?

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by SethSil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow. I knew spending more money was going to be the solution. I already have a headphone amp, couldnt I save money with a straight DAC.

my budget is blech. I'm trying to go cheap and dirty.

Think of it as an investment since you'll save money when upgraditis rears its ugly head
evil_smiley.gif
. "Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet."

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #7 of 7
Your headphone amp is bad, staying cheap and dirty is only going to entertain you for so long, then we'll see another one of these threads. A Compass will save you a lot of time, there's a lot of attractive options but no home-size DAC/Amp/Preamp combinations for $300-400 really.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back