SPDIF, Coax, and RCA?
Jun 6, 2006 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Cousin Patty

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't understand what the difference is between spdif, digital coax, and rca connectors. Im planning on getting a Storm Digital D02 in a few weeks along with a new soundcard (x-fi cause i like to game) capable of bit perfect digital output. But I just hate how there seems to be a bunch of interchangeable names for everything. On the x-fi I/O bay there is a connection for spdif out. I know that this is where I would plug a digital coax cable into to run to an external DAC...but it uses RCA connectors... whats up with all the names and acronyms?

Jun 6, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cousin Patty
I don't understand what the difference is between spdif, digital coax, and rca connectors.

S/P-DIF = Sony/Philips-Digital Interface, a standard
coaxial = type of cable
RCA = type of connector, once developed by RCA

You may also have an optical S/P-DIF connection. Usually this is indicated via the label "optical" or "Toslink" vs. "coaxial".

Wikipedia is your friend
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #3 of 6
I've always been under the impression that:

spdif=digital coax.

the plug that the spdif/digital coax cable uses is referred to as an rca plug (or terminated to an rca connector). Hope I'm right
tongue.gif

Yep, its all interchangeable names...welcome to the world of confusing, and often, annoying acronyms (PRaT anyone?).

Jun 6, 2006 at 5:41 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
S/P-DIF = Sony/Philips-Digital Interface, a standard
coaxial = type of cable
RCA = type of connector, once developed by RCA

You may also have an optical S/P-DIF connection. Usually this is indicated via the label "optical" or "Toslink" vs. "coaxial".

Wikipedia is your friend
wink.gif

ah, that makes better sense. Yes, wikipedia is our friend
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 6
What makes a coax cable a coax cable then?

nvm lemme check wikipedia first ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back