SparkoS Aries headphone amp
Apr 4, 2022 at 12:12 AM Post #256 of 355
Yes Yes!!! remote control would be very handy.. also hopefully no more touch screen control.. sorry call me old school but still like physical switches & buttons on Audio gear over the touch screen :)
Also, one last thing is a selectable pre-out mode, fixed or variable :)
1000% on ‘no more touch screen control’. They ‘cheapen’ the look of the Aries. An amp should never look better when it is off 😒.

Apr 4, 2022 at 12:57 AM Post #258 of 355
Interesting....

Do you mean like if the graphics or something like that looked better it would be OK?

Or no touch screen ever no matter how it looked ?
No touch screen. Hefty rotary knobs, toggle switches without lateral wiggle, or both.

Apr 4, 2022 at 1:24 AM Post #259 of 355
Ok, good to know. The whole idea behind the touch screen was so that a guy didnt have to bring input signals from the back of the unit up to the front to pass through an input selector switch, and then do that again for gain setting switches. That type of thing just begs to pick up noise and crap from the power transformer magnetic fields and other things. So instead, we have relays in the back of the unit under microcontroller control that do that switching locally where it is needed.

So it was a fidelity choice more so than a cosmetic one. But if I am being honest, it also made for a simpler mechanical design. :) We have all seen the guys use a Loooong shaft for input selection and then put the switch itself in the back of the unit where it belongs.

But its good to know that its not a matter of better graphics or using a higher resolution display.

Apr 4, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #260 of 355
Ok, good to know. The whole idea behind the touch screen was so that a guy didnt have to bring input signals from the back of the unit up to the front to pass through an input selector switch, and then do that again for gain setting switches. That type of thing just begs to pick up noise and crap from the power transformer magnetic fields and other things. So instead, we have relays in the back of the unit under microcontroller control that do that switching locally where it is needed.

So it was a fidelity choice more so than a cosmetic one. But if I am being honest, it also made for a simpler mechanical design. :) We have all seen the guys use a Loooong shaft for input selection and then put the switch itself in the back of the unit where it belongs.

But its good to know that its not a matter of better graphics or using a higher resolution display.
Re the touch screen,… If it adds to sound quality I’m all for it! I really don’t spend time looking at my amp when I’m listening, others mileage may vary of course.

Tony

Apr 4, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #262 of 355
I like the touch screen panel, and I love my Aries. Does anyone knows the power at 50ohm?

Apr 4, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #263 of 355

didn't realize it was for SQ rather than a cosmetic choice... now it makes sense and a touch screen would be better than those long shafts that you see on vintage amps... :)

Re the touch screen,… If it adds to sound quality I’m all for it! I really don’t spend time looking at my amp when I’m listening, others mileage may vary of course.

Tony

I agree entirely. Aesthetics is a distant 3rd after SQ and reliability. In any case it looks fine.
absolutely agree with both of you on this!!

Sonicaly you can't fault the amp.

Apr 5, 2022 at 12:09 AM Post #264 of 355

I personally like the touch screen to be honest

Apr 7, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #265 of 355
Hi Guys. Its Andrew of Sparkos Labs here. I just found this thread and wanted to thank everyone for giving the Aries a shot, and for everyone's kind words and honest opinions about the unit. Not to get all mushy on everyone, but man...... Some of these posts brings a tear to my eye. Its so good to get feedback like this that reassures me that myself, my o' lady and our little dog are putting out quality gear and devices that are well received by the audiophile community.

So.... Thank you. :)

I just wanted to make ourselves available to the community here and answer any questions that anyone may have about the Aries unit and/or any of our other products and devices. Ive been toying with the idea of becoming a Head-Fi sponsor and putting the Aries on tour in the USA to start. Depending on how that goes, we may do the same in other countries too. Would yall like that?

Thanks again guys! Let me know if anyone has any questions.
I've been a fan of Sparkos labs Aries headphone amps for over a year and always will be.
In my opinion, there is no more musical, transparent and fun amp for this price.
It's not very popular in Korea because it's not officially published, but I've always introduced this amp as the best amp.

However, I will write down some of the things that I regret while using it (points that could be improved).

1. Fixation of RCA terminals
- Terminals are easily bent when inflexible cables are connected.
- There is no problem with the sound quality, but it is something I do not want to see.

2. Output of the amplifier
- In the past, when dd amps were mainstream, the output of this amp was great.
- However, for some non-standard headphones, this amp lacks bass reproduction It's a long-time wish - the aries perfectly be able to run susvara and dca stealth....

3. Amplification Gain
- The gain of Aries is 10db, 20db, 30db. TOO MUCH!
- In a situation where the max output is limited to 2.8W, the mid-gain is to much when input voltage is 2V.(i think +16db is right)
- Of course, you can adjust the output of the signal with a preamplifier. but ;;;;

Again, I'm a huge fan of this headphone amp, and three shortcomings are diluted by dozens of advantages.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #266 of 355
I've been a fan of Sparkos labs Aries headphone amps for over a year and always will be.
In my opinion, there is no more musical, transparent and fun amp for this price.
It's not very popular in Korea because it's not officially published, but I've always introduced this amp as the best amp.

However, I will write down some of the things that I regret while using it (points that could be improved).

1. Fixation of RCA terminals
- Terminals are easily bent when inflexible cables are connected.
- There is no problem with the sound quality, but it is something I do not want to see.

I’ve experienced this on a variety of components. I’m seriously looking at the Aries, and actually have a few questions posed to Andrew. My solution to this RCA attachment issue is to use Audioquest (or similar) 90 degree right angle RCA adapters. The vast majority of my cables are mid grade Cardas. The older Quadlinks and Golden Presence don’t have a great deal of flex, especially on the shorter runs. The right angle adapters let the cables lay where they want too….

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 3:59 PM Post #267 of 355
Hi Guys. So the RCA jacks are not affixed to the back of the unit to maintain isolation between the ground on the RCA (which is signal ground) and the case of the unit (Which is earth ground)

If one ties earth ground to signal, it will destroy the noise performance of the unit.

The gains of 10 - 20 - 30 dB is intended to accommodate source gear with as little as 0.5V output which is common in many units.

If you have source gear that puts out more signal than that (many higher end units do) then low gain should be good for you and the higher gains would then be too high.

Apr 16, 2022 at 7:33 PM Post #268 of 355
Hi Guys. So the RCA jacks are not affixed to the back of the unit to maintain isolation between the ground on the RCA (which is signal ground) and the case of the unit (Which is earth ground)

If one ties earth ground to signal, it will destroy the noise performance of the unit.

The gains of 10 - 20 - 30 dB is intended to accommodate source gear with as little as 0.5V output which is common in many units.

If you have source gear that puts out more signal than that (many higher end units do) then low gain should be good for you and the higher gains would then be too high.Andrew,

Andrew,

it’s great to hear the reasons behind your sound (pun intended) design decisions. It makes me appreciate the SQ even more to realise it’s by very considered design. Would there be any changes you’d consider in a mark 2 version? To be honest it would be hard for me to want more… except that remote for the day I use the aries as a preamp on the stereo but I don’t see that happening anytime soon.

cheers,

Tony

Apr 19, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #269 of 355
I sold my Aries after a while. Things I would change for V2;

1. 50% more power
2. XLR output. Regardless of bal/not bal, its a nicer connector to use IMO
3. Fit n finish on the front panel. Back of the corners are very sharp, scratch some gear on them.
4. Remote
5. Chassis thickness. Its too thin and makes a ringing noise when you nudge it or plug a connector in.
6. Easier to select output muting, or auto muting when HP in

Dynamics and black background, overall SQ, was very good. Vol control good too. Happy with those parts!

May 13, 2022 at 11:02 PM Post #270 of 355
I bought @duranxv 's Aries.
First listening impressions are very positive. Very close to the sound stage height and width of the ZMF Pendant SE tube amp, which says a lot!

Regarding changes for a mk2 version...
1. Ditto on the remote
2. I didnt think I would like the touch screen but I do
3. The 3.5 mm input on front panel should be labeled. Otherwise its easy to think its a 3.5mm headphone output.
4. I dont mind the aesthetic. But the front panel does have almost sharp edges which could be refined.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back