Spare Power amp as phones amp
Jul 4, 2007 at 4:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Swarkestone

New Head-Fier
My main amp (Sugden A21SE) does not provide a phones socket but I do have a old spare Aurex M12 power amp that does. Is there any reason why I shouldn´t use this as a phones amp connected to the pre-out of my Sugden. The power amp has switches for the speaker outlets so presumably I won´t do it any harm by not having speakers connected. My phones are Beyer DT531 - am I missing something ?

Jul 4, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 6
It should work fine, but be aware that speaker amps do not always have good headphone jacks. From what I've been able to tell from other related threads (I also have several amps with headphone jacks), the design of the headphone out can be significantly different from amp to amp. There are at least two mainstream ways this is accomplished:

1: The headphone output uses the actual speaker amplifier circuitry but has additional resistors in the path so the headphones are seen as a suitable load for the amplifier. This is (IMO) the best way sonically, and was common on vintage amps (it also allows the amp to drive high-impedance 'phones). Search these forums for "Vintage Marantz" and you will find many people use old amps this way.

2: Separate Op-amp based output stage dedicated to headphones. I prefer all-discrete circuitry, so I dislike this approach - also, driving high impedance loads can be a problem. I think this is more common on newer/surround amps.

Which is your Aurex? You may need to open the case or consult a circuit diagram to tell definitively (often headphone output info/specs are neglected on manufacturer data sheets), but I would recommend hooking it all up and seeing if you like it. Remember, no matter how much we talk here, ultimately the only thing that matters is how much you like what you hear. Let us know how it works!

Jul 4, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #3 of 6
It´s the Aurex mini system SC-M12 amp of 1981 vintage. In actual fact it´s new old stock - never been used and been sitting on a shelf for years - I came across it the other day in a warehouse. I didn´t know whether to go for it or not.

Jul 5, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #4 of 6
How much was it? Unless it was really cheap, I would be tempted to hold off... Ebay has a lot of preamplifiers and vintage amps that churn fairly rapidly, so don't be too hung up by a local deal... I have done some Googling but can't find anything out about Aurex or that model as far as specs are concerned.

If I were looking for a new amp system, I'd explore vintage Harman Kardon, Marantz, NAD, etc. equipment on Ebay. Not to insult Aurex; I just do not know enough about them. $70 - $150 on Ebay goes a very long way with vintage stereo gear.

Jul 5, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #5 of 6
I think Aurex in the States was sold as straight Toshiba. The amp was very highly considered as the best part of a very good mini system - of course, this was with speakers - I know nothing about the phones socket.

Jul 13, 2007 at 9:21 AM Post #6 of 6
I have tried using the pre out of my main Sugden A21SE amp into the Aurex power amp with my beyer DT531s and I think I rather liked it. Trouble is my amp does not have speaker switches so I can´t turn off my speakers. What would be the best way to implement a volume control for the output of the power amp - I take it that I am talking about a passive volume pot. Any ideas ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back