Spanish or french music with vocals
Oct 21, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 15
Probably the best well known Spanish flamenco singer is Camaron de la Isla (he died 20 years ago). You should check him out. I like Estrella Morente as well. She is alive and well.

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 15
my personal favourite among French singers-songwriters is Georges Brassens. Looking for some samples of his songs I came across this very well made youtube mix of French chanteurs (with the odd chanteuse thrown in)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eztSYUFUe8I&list=RD02eztSYUFUe8I

Oct 22, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #4 of 15
Oldies: Jacques Brel, Edith Piaf, Brassens (+1), Félix Leclerc*

Good ones circa 1970's: Serge Gainsbourg, Michel Fugain, Joe Dassin, Charles Aznavour, Harmonium*, Beau Dommage*, Offenbach*, Diane Dufresne*, Jean-Pierre Ferland*

(* denotes singers or bands from Québec)

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 15
Here's the lyrics and the song.

COMMENT TE DIRE ADIEU
Sous aucun pretexte je ne veux
avoir de reflexes malheureux,
il faut que tu m'expliques un peu mieux
comment te dire adieu.
Mon coeur de silex vite prend feu,
ton coeur de pyrex resiste au feu,
je suis bien perplexe, je ne veux
me resoudre aux adieus.
Je sais bien qu'un ex amour n'a pas de chance,
ou si peu,
mais pour moi un explication voudrait mieux.
devant toi surexposer mes yeux,
derrière un kleenex je saurais mieux
comment te dire adieu,
comment te dire adieu.
Tu as mis a l'index nos nuits blanches,
nos matins gris-bleu,
mais pour moi un explication voudrait mieux.
devant toi surexposer mes yeux,
derrière un kleenex je saurais mieux
comment te dire adieu,
comment te dire adieu,
comment te dire adieu.

Nov 5, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #8 of 15
The free-jazz / improv band The Recyclers (ie Benoît Delbecq on piano and prepared piano, Steve Argüelles on drums and percussions and Noël Akchoté on guitar, bass, etc.) have a great cover album titled Morceaux Choisis, published by Rectangle in 1997. Joined by singers Katerine, Ignatus, Sasha Andrès and Irène Jacob, they play staples of "chanson française", old (Francis Poulenc) and new-ish (Polyphonic Size, a Belgian "new-wave" band from the 80s). Songwriters covered include Georges Moustaki, Brigitte Fontaine, Serge Gainsbourg, Léo Ferré, Jacques Brel, Nino Ferrer and Pierre Barouh (founder of the Saravah label that's a gold mine for quirky 70s music). Great stuff there.
Here's Brigitte Fontaine "La vache enragée" as sung by Katerine :

Brigitte Fontaine one of the living greats, but her stuff is probably too odd for someone not experienced in the language. Among the classics, I'd say Jacques Brel's the apex. Check out his live stuff from youtube to see what it was all about.

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #10 of 15
Sorry for the dumb question, but by Spanish you mean from Spain, right? or spanish as in music where they sing in Spanish, which could be from any spanish speaking Country...

Nov 6, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #12 of 15
Well, there are, occasionally different expressions, and often, different slang, but I'm not sure the grammar is different... Here, I'll still post some music from Spain, that I listen to and some from Mexico.

This is a band from Spain called 'Hombres G'. They used to be really popular in Spanish speaking countries, in the 80s and 90s.

Here's the Spanish version of 'Before the Next Teardrop Falls'.

I don't know any French music, sorry. :frowning2:

Nov 18, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 15
Dec 6, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #14 of 15
You really should listen to this iconic band: Soda Stereo (argentina)

Gustavo Cerati speaks a very clear spanish (with some mild argentinean accent) and the music is amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vfJ29RJU2w

Suerte con aprender español!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back