Spanish/Latin Music help
Oct 15, 2003 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

will75

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all.

I'm looking for recommendations for a certain genre of music. I guess it would be classified as latin or spanish. Looking for a fast-paced sound with trumpets blaring and lots of cool drum beats. Hopefully this doesn't sound too idiotic.

I have heard songs in the past like this and love them. The kind of music that makes you want to get up and dance as if you have latin blood boiling through your veins.

Anyone know what I'm looking for?

(one song similiar to this that I can name is "Yay Boy" by the Africandos)

Thanks all,

Will

Oct 15, 2003 at 7:09 PM Post #4 of 24
What about the Gipsy Kings is you want some serious guitar sound thrown into the mix. I heard their Bombaleo album when it came out and it was incredible.

Oct 15, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #5 of 24
Are you interested in vocals or just instrumental works.

Poncho Sanchez is a very good suggestion to get you started. I recently purchased an album, Latin Soul [live recording], which incorporates vocals. To give you an idea of where it stands in terms of latin music, I would place in the realm of "Classic Salsa" sound, even though it is contemporary album. In general, Latin Jazz/Salsa should fulfill your needs
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2003 at 10:50 PM Post #6 of 24
Latin music? You mean music with lyrics in latin? Not too many groups to that anymore. Spanish? Well, there is a spanish version of every style of music you can think of. Can you narrow it down a bit?

It looks however that you are looking for Salsa from Cuba, this is black music, it's american jazz mixed with african tribal music, it's only sung in spanish. Other than that it has nothing to do with Spain or anything Latin.

Oct 15, 2003 at 11:54 PM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Latin music? You mean music with lyrics in latin? Not too many groups to that anymore. Spanish? Well, there is a spanish version of every style of music you can think of. Can you narrow it down a bit?

It looks however that you are looking for Salsa from Cuba, this is black music, it's american jazz mixed with african tribal music, it's only sung in spanish. Other than that it has nothing to do with Spain or anything Latin.

I can appreciate the difference. Only used those descriptors as a means to convey my interests despite a lack of knowledge in this category (which I now have a bit)

Thanks all for your help (musically and educationally), I'll check some of these out.

Oct 16, 2003 at 12:56 AM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...

Although you are irrefutably correct in linguistic terminology, mass marketing of music has resorted to "latin" as a prefix for such associated names as "latin jazz." I in fact do not like these generalizations either. But they are widespread, and in this context, I could understand what the question was about.

The word "Salsa," as it is known today for what it really is, mixture of african and jazz, as you well point out, had its origin in NYC, from all parts
biggrin.gif

I don't think the word Spain was mentioned in the original post at all (?) Interestingly, there are a couple of groups from Spain that do have a couple of Salsa tunes and/or albums: Mecano
wink.gif
, other that escapes my memory now.... (Orquestra La Real de Madrid?) Anyway, in terms of music, if you look hard enough, you'll find it everywhere.

The origins of rumba/salsa, hum that it is an interesting sociocultural topic in on itself...I think the question was more poised toward the music available nowadays rather than the origin and roots of the genre per se.

Oct 16, 2003 at 1:26 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally posted by CD44hi
Although you are irrefutably correct in linguistic terminology, mass marketing of music has resorted to "latin" as a prefix for such associated names as "latin jazz." I in fact do not like these generalizations either. But they are widespread, and in this context, I could understand what the question was about.

The word "Salsa," as it is known today for what it really is, mixture of african and jazz, as you well point out, had its origin in NYC, from all parts
biggrin.gif

I don't think the word Spain was mentioned in the original post at all (?) Interestingly, there are a couple of groups from Spain that do have a couple of Salsa tunes and/or albums: Mecano
wink.gif
, other that escapes my memory now.... (Orquestra La Real de Madrid?) Anyway, in terms of music, if you look hard enough, you'll find it everywhere.

The origins of rumba/salsa, hum that it is an interesting sociocultural topic in on itself...I think the question was more poised toward the music available nowadays rather than the origin and roots of the genre per se.

There are many great Japanese Salsa groups as well.

The terms Spanish, Hispanic and Latin(o) has been so misused in the press and by people who don't know any better than they have lost all real meaning, which is really sad, IMHO. For example people in Spain don't speak spanish anymore than people in China speak Chinese. But, maybe we should talk about this in it's own thread, since I rather not hijack this one anymore that I already have.

Back on topic
biggrin.gif

Check out :

0593.jpg

Artist: Los Angeles Guitar Quartet
Recording: LAGQ: Latin
Now available in discrete multi-channel surround SACD as well as the CD recording!
http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title...JRLMSTK11K6TL3

Oct 16, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #10 of 24
Felipe Rodriguez- Golondrina Viajera

My dad was kind enough to steal some old LPs from my grandparents for me, and this was among them. I don't know how easy/difficult it will be to find, but it's well worth a hunt.

Oct 20, 2003 at 12:41 AM Post #11 of 24
Robi "Draco Cornelius" Rosa

Check out Commitment #4, Cruzando Puertas, Brujeria, Vagabundo, and Frio.

...And if you're into guitar music, check out Paco De Lucia. He smokes it, flamenco style.
eek.gif

Nov 22, 2003 at 8:34 PM Post #12 of 24
Oh, man! I've got two great Tito Puente CDs for you...

Mambo Birdland (Grammy Winner)
Live at Birdland, Dancemania '99 (should have won a Grammy also).

These two CDs are happy, fast and well-recorded classics for lovers of Latin dancing. Tito Puente's Latin Jazz Big Band has a full brass section with everything from trumpets to trombones. The same goes for the percussion section with congas, timbales, bongos, maracas, cowbells, etc. These are first class CDs all the way and very Puerto Rican! Yes, you will get up and dance to these CDs. I'm sure of that! So get happy...get them!

Tito Puente is the world's most prolific musician with 130 CDs and 7 Grammies to his name! That's quite an accomplishment!

Apr 2, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson
why not try some Santana/Carlos Santana music for rock, Poncho Sanchez or Mongo Santamaria for Jazz, and perhaps also Beuna Vista Social Club.

W

I'm going to see Poncho Sanchez with my girlfriend this Thursday. He is playing at the university. I have listened to some of his stuff on a local radio station, and was really pleased to find out he was going to be playing in town. I will be nice to hear some authentic latin jazz live.

I have this Putumayo World Music, Cuba CD that has some of the guys from Buena Vista Social Club. They seem very good. I'm going to see what else I can find by them. Anyone have a recommendation?

Apr 2, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6ofpain
I'm going to see Poncho Sanchez with my girlfriend this Thursday. He is playing at the university. I have listened to some of his stuff on a local radio station, and was really pleased to find out he was going to be playing in town. I will be nice to hear some authentic latin jazz live.

I live in the San Francisco bay area, whenever Poncho plays in this area I'd try to catch his concert, always a good show.

Also, I like Lila Downs very much, try her "La Sandunga".

Enjoy,
W

Users who are viewing this thread

Back