Spain-Best food in Western Civilization?
Oct 28, 2009 at 9:12 PM Post #16 of 53
Spain, like Britain, does have a preponderance of excellent restaurants, but I doubt there are many who would rank the "national" cuisine as being #1.

Nonetheless, I find it unique amongst western european cuisines, and it's well worth trying.

Oct 28, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #17 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
most id wager its just that america somewhat has a reputation for awful food (cheap crap but vast amounts of it) that the real thing and of a decent quality will in comparison be wonderful

This gives me the impression that you do not know who Anthony Bourdain is, as it is his statement we're discussing. Do you suspect he eats most of his meals at McDonalds?

Oct 28, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #18 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by J W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bourdain probably said that because of elBulli and Etxebarri, both of which are on his "13 places to eat before you die" list.

I've had the luck to eat at elBulli (it was El Bulli when I ate there, I think they changed it)... It's a truly a unique experience but so outrageously overrated taste wise.

molecular gastronomy is not for me..

Oct 28, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #19 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spain, like Britain, does have a preponderance of excellent restaurants, but I doubt there are many who would rank the "national" cuisine as being #1.

Nonetheless, I find it unique amongst western european cuisines, and it's well worth trying.

britan has by far the worst food of any developed country. it's a tier below the US, even.

Oct 28, 2009 at 9:21 PM Post #20 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Figo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
britan has by far the worst food of any developed country. it's a tier below the US, even.

Perhaps we have a different take on "developed"
smily_headphones1.gif

In any case, you seem to have missed my point. I'm not talking about the general standard of food in either country, I'm talking about the existence of extraordinary food.In 2005, Britain had a total of 230 Michelin stars. You can take it up with Messrs. Ramsey, Blumenthal, and Atherton if you disagree.

Oct 28, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #21 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This gives me the impression that you do not know who Anthony Bourdain is, as it is his statement we're discussing. Do you suspect he eats most of his meals at McDonalds?

im sorry i didnt pick out the bits of the op i was aiming that at so here it is for you

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I was in Paris last year, I was so blown away by the food, I had thought I reached my nirvana of gastronomy. I've tried Spanish food in America and enjoyed it but my feeling is that it's not the same as in Spain since French food in America does not taste like the food in Paris which is so astoundingly amazing. But now, I am curious about Spain. Has anyone eaten in Spain and made comparisons to other countries in Europe?

my point being the "spannish" food the op has tried in the us is likely to have not been very good stuff not that the tv chap didnt know what he was talking about

Oct 29, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #22 of 53
Quote:

I've had the luck to eat at elBulli (it was El Bulli when I ate there, I think they changed it)... It's a truly a unique experience but so outrageously overrated taste wise.

molecular gastronomy is not for me..

I've eaten there as well - complete shock value "molecular gastronomy"! After eating there, I felt like i'd puke if I ever had to eat another gel or foam. Because really, every dish was a gel for the sake of being a gel, had foam for the sake of having foam, and was cooled in liquid nitrogen for the sake of being cooled in liquid nitrogen.

I like to think of this crap approach as distinct, in contrast with the more thoughtful "progressive cuisine." I had little hope for Alinea the first time I went, and only scheduled a 12 course meal. Chef Grant is incredible! The use of modern chemical techniques was sparing, and used to great effect to enhance dishes - not be the centerpiece (except for some of the desserts, which were very fun). Alinea embodies how cuisine SHOULD evolve, and I highly recommend you make the trip! I eventually returned there on honeymoon, for the full 24 course tour
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #23 of 53
Quote:

Lol, I've never been to the UK but this is what I've been told from friends who have visited. I had planned to study abroad there but was told I'd either starve or survive on fish and chips since I'm pretty picky (Just the thought of black pudding makes me want to hurl).

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #25 of 53
Just from what I've heard about Spanish Partridge, I'd guess Spanish food is NOT the best in Western Civ. I have been told that the very worst is in Gibraltar.

Oct 29, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #26 of 53
I am a big fan of paella in resturants here in America and I have even come up with some of my own versions. So when I was in Spain I was dissapointed at how disgusting it was there. Tried it 3 times at different places and lets just say it was some of the WORST food in western eastern southern northern civilization. The waitresses there, on the other hand, are some of the HOTTEST in the world.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #27 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lol, I've never been to the UK but this is what I've been told from friends who have visited. I had planned to study abroad there but was told I'd either starve or survive on fish and chips since I'm pretty picky (Just the thought of black pudding makes me want to hurl).

3 words: beans on toast

RUN

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #28 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

fish and chips??? yeah no one really eats that. unless you drunkenly stumbling home then it can seem like a great idea. if you want to eat really badly in the uk you can do it without difficulty.

as for black pudding its not often eaten, i think its more a scottish than uk thing as a londoner friend who visited me recently had never tried it, so we had to get some and she actually loved it. given the rubbish that goes into sausages, burgers etc i strongly advise that you grow a pair and not exclude the idea of of at least tasting anything because you dont like the sound of it.

oh if you do come over to study do not go into catered halls. the food is always crap. go self catering and then discover the wonder that is the marks and spencer food hall

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #29 of 53
heyyyy the food isn't crap in the UK
frown.gif
well ok so yea as mark said if you want to you can eat poorly but again its subjective to what is poor. I love bangers and mash, steak and ale pie, greasy fry ups etc.
Black pudding is a pretty Scottish thing, Sainsburys and the like sell it but I would consider it, along with Haggis, a Scottish dish.
And Mark..take a trip to Cornwall and get fish and chips there, amazing stuff.
You can tell I'm easily pleased huh.

One thing I've always wondered...in U.S.A do you have kebab shops? like proper elephant leg on a spit kebab shops? Oh and do you have local pubs? nags head and the kings arms and stuff? Often pub food, especially in the countryside, is wonderful. Then there's Toby Carvery's, Beefeater's....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back