spades don't fit onto speakers
Apr 8, 2004 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

usc goose

Headphoneus Supremus
the binding post is too wide. so i just put a prong of each spade through the hole where the bare wire termination would usually go. anyone see any problems that could arise doing that?

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:28 AM Post #3 of 10
I have been using mine that way for years. Those little binding post wrenches can help you get a nice tight fit if yours are to loose.
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 10
I've only briefly tried it that way (threading the spade through the hole) and somehow I've found that I lost a lot of sound. But that was when my spade actually fit so a smaller spade might have more contact area in this case.

Anyhow I don't understand why they don't set a spade standard to make it easier on everyone else but apparantly the larger diameter (9mm) is actually the most common width? That's what I was told anyways but I see 7mm all the time too. I wouldn't worry so much about it I guess but if you're going to be sticking with the speakers it's not too bad of an idea to get cables that "fit".

Apr 9, 2004 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Howie
Anyhow I don't understand why they don't set a spade standard

A standard? I'm waiting for a consensus on which signal goes on which pin of an XLR connector! Nothing like getting pin 1 hot when it's supposed to be the shield.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

but apparantly the larger diameter (9mm) is actually the most common width? That's what I was told anyways but I see 7mm all the time too.

the more "normal" size is the smaller one.
Quote:

A standard? I'm waiting for a consensus on which signal goes on which pin of an XLR connector! Nothing like getting pin 1 hot when it's supposed to be the shield.

standard is pin 1 = shield, 2 = +, 3 = -. 99% of connections are like that.

Apr 9, 2004 at 3:24 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus

yeah, but it is somewhat common (more often than you'd think) to get the hot and cold flipped. Not the end of the world I suppose. Just an example of there not being (or people not follwing) a good standard for things.

Apr 9, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
the binding post is too wide. so i just put a prong of each spade through the hole where the bare wire termination would usually go. anyone see any problems that could arise doing that?

That is why I use bananas all the time....
wink.gif

Apr 9, 2004 at 8:53 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
I have been using mine that way for years.

Same here. But months, not years. And the same at the amp end as well. But it does bug me a little not having an ideal fit. I occasionally tighten them as they loosen a little over time.

I asked a similiar question and had useful responses here .

Apr 9, 2004 at 10:07 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

That is more or less the North American standard but even that isn't firmly established.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back