Space Key - ESS Sabre32 DSD/DXD USB DAC campaign on Kickstarter
Apr 5, 2017 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

_azoth_

New Head-Fier
[Mods - feel free to delete this if there's a policy about linking to Kickstarter campaigns. FULL DISCLOSURE - I am a backer because it seems like a decent device for the investment].

Space Audio, who have made a few portable DACs already : 

http://www.space-audio.com/space_web_eng/space.html

and

http://www.space-audio.com/space_web_eng/space_plus.html

are back and taking aim at the portable DAC/headphone amp segment, which right now is dominated by Audioquest's Dragonfly Black on the affordable end of the scale and the Chord Mojo on the pricier end (as well as many other models besides).

From the looks of the campaign here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/magicpixel/space-key-ess-sabre32-dsd-dxd-usb-dac/description

it has an ESS SABRE9018 chip (as used in the Oppo BDP-105), an XMOS octacore processor and a small OLED display. The unit supports sample rates up to 384Khz, has a 121dB DNR and 0.0002% THD+N​. It also supports DSD format playback. Their campaign blurb does better than me at selling you its virtues...

The company seem to have delivered on their campaigns before and by the looks of things without much backer grumbling in the comments. What is everyone's take on the technology involved and the claims of format support ? Is this a fancier HiFiMe unit with a display stuck on or a reasonable audio bargain for the audiophile on the go ? 

Your opinions please ! 

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 10
I ordered one too from pure curiosity. Hope it sounds good!

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:53 AM Post #4 of 10
Wish they had gone with a metal case. Specs look good, price is very competitive but waiting till Aug for distribution is too long for me.

I concur, that would have been better. Specs ARE enticing, though I guess it all depends on how successfully it will be implemented. And yes the wait is a pain, but it is a Kickstarter so that development timeline is kind of implied for all projects.

Apr 7, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #5 of 10
Is anyone aware of any similar bargains for around £75-89 GBP (as per the Space Key's two lowest tiers) that deliver a bang for buck performance ?

I'm aware of Centrance's Dacport, which doesn't use a Sabre chip and the Dragonfly Black, which I found a bit too rounded off and not much of an improvement on my phone's headphone output.

Apr 7, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #6 of 10

Is anyone aware of any similar bargains for around £75-89 GBP (as per the Space Key's two lowest tiers) that deliver a bang for buck performance ?

I'm aware of Centrance's Dacport, which doesn't use a Sabre chip and the Dragonfly Black, which I found a bit too rounded off and not much of an improvement on my phone's headphone output.

LH GeekOuts (original version 1) are still available at these sort of prices on eBay or Amazon

Also Cyrus soundKey was very affordable on Kickstarter (from £50) but will retail at £99

I use GO on laptop, Cyrus mobile phone. Both sound superb to me.

May 15, 2017 at 8:47 PM Post #8 of 10

The Encore Mdsd has similar decoding capabilities to this device, that is up to DSD256, some head-fiers have said they prefer the encore mdsd to the dragonfly black, and it has been well reviewed.
There's also the nextdrive spectra, I am waiting for more reviews, but no on light doesn't change colour for dsd or pcm like the encore mdsd, and the space key's oled display is so cool.

May 23, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #9 of 10
If this thing only supports DoP, it can't do DSD256.

Just putting that out there if it matters. My current DAC has the same issue, but my biggest stuff is DSD128 so it's moot.

EDIT: My bad, seems like the 9018Q2C will do up to PCM 768, so that means DoP256 is supported.

Interesting, the DAC will do 32/384 and DSD Native / DoP at 4x (DSD256), but the chip is capable of 32/768. Must be the XMOS that's limiting it.

Still powerful specs though.

Last edited:
May 23, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #10 of 10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back