sox resampler with foobar 2000 - settings
Apr 14, 2014 at 3:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

magicalmouse

500+ Head-Fier
Hi am using a dacmagic xs (which accepts 192/24) and a laptop/foobar 200 with sox resampler.

Any idea of the optimal settings for this - most of my files are 44/16 and I notice a smoothing of the rough edges on older recording from the 1920/30/40's

thanks

d

Apr 14, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 3
  Hi am using a dacmagic xs (which accepts 192/24) and a laptop/foobar 200 with sox resampler.

Any idea of the optimal settings for this - most of my files are 44/16 and I notice a smoothing of the rough edges on older recording from the 1920/30/40's

thanks

d

If you are listening to Redbook standard  then 176.4 is the best choice. The rest of the settings are usually fine in default. There is a lot of debate about if this is really an improvement or just introducing some pleasant distortion. Usually it shifts the tonal balance up a bit giving the impression of more detail and a larger sound stage. Personally I like what it does with most recordings. Most dacs these days do internal oversampling anyway but chance are your computer can do a better job of it.

Apr 18, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 3
You can get funny results from playing with phase response settings. Theoretically it should not change anything as that would be determined by the filter in you DAC but, to my astonishment, if set, for example, minimum phase filtering, then you will get signal with no pre-ringing, great way to try minium-phase "sound".

That's what I got when recording the output from my WM8716 DAC with different phase settings. As far as I remember that's a 1kHz square wave and the only difference was phase response setting in SoX.

I had mixed results with intermediate settings, that is not very repetitive, but you know, it's really a great thing that you can control the phase response in your DAC from you PC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back