Southeast PA (Philly, Lehigh Valley, So. Jersey) Mini-Meet May 7th
May 6, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #198 of 211
I'll see if I can pull my B22 out of the rack. The only issue is that I also have to bring a source and DAC. If I had a CDP it would be a different story. But bringing the amp, power supply, DAC and laptop (plus cords, ICs, power strip) is a big job and I won't be able to stay long.

May 6, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #200 of 211
Quote:Originally Posted by brasewel 

"I wouldn't bother then. The B22 is a bulky amp and is difficult to lug around."

It's unfortunate because I have to run all over the place tomorrow. If I were able to get there early and stay for a while then I'd bring my setup. But we all know it takes time to set up and break down.

I wish a had a small CDP like the Cambridge Sonata. Then it would be simple. I thought about using my iPod as a source but in reality it sounds like crap compared to my laptop and DAC and would be a disservice to the amp. Sorry guys. Unless someone has a decent spare CDP to bring? I'd bring the ICs and cords and CDs.

May 6, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #202 of 211
Quote:Originally Posted by jp11801 

"if you have balanced inputs then I might be able to help coming out of my Sonic studio dac, it can accomodate up to 4 outputs"

Hi JP. The amp is all SE. Sorry. Thanks for offering.

May 6, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #203 of 211
I'm sorry to say that Herbert won't be able to come along due to an unexpected family matter.  I'm still planning to come though and will bring the amp he just built for me. He literally just finished it today. 

As well, I'll have the LCD2 and Lavry DA10 but, I'm not sure if I need to bring a source?
If need be,  I could bring an Alesis Masterlink CD player with spdif out.  Otherwise, not sure if an ipod with aiff's & a line out cable is a good idea to feed the DAC?

Appreciate and advice here.  More up on the studio thing, but new to the HP optimising thing.
Thanks!

May 7, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #204 of 211
Sorry for the waffling but a friend with a car (and Stax) has shown interest in going, and I've gotten a good bit of work done so I can be free for the afternoon. If there's space, we may be dropping by around 12-2pm... if we do come there will be the addition of:
My SSMH + GrubDAC, uDac2, laptops, Darth Beyer V2s, balanced v3 K501s, HD650 (maybe), Stax SR202/SRM252, and/or Stax SRM-T1/mk2 Lambda Pro (not sure if we need to bring two Stax setups; if someone wants to hear both respond to this post or send a PM...

May 7, 2011 at 6:54 AM Post #205 of 211
Quote:Originally Posted by Aflac 

"Sorry for the waffling but a friend with a car (and Stax) has shown interest in going, and I've gotten a good bit of work done so I can be free for the afternoon. If there's space, we may be dropping by around 12-2pm... if we do come there will be the addition of:My SSMH + GrubDAC, uDac2, laptops, Darth Beyer V2s, balanced v3 K501s, HD650 (maybe), Stax SR202/SRM252, and/or Stax SRM-T1/mk2 Lambda Pro (not sure if we need to bring two Stax setups; if someone wants to hear both respond to this post or send a PM..."

Of course. :)

May 7, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #206 of 211

Quote:
I'm sorry to say that Herbert won't be able to come along due to an unexpected family matter.  I'm still planning to come though and will bring the amp he just built for me. He literally just finished it today. 

As well, I'll have the LCD2 and Lavry DA10 but, I'm not sure if I need to bring a source?
If need be,  I could bring an Alesis Masterlink CD player with spdif out.  Otherwise, not sure if an ipod with aiff's & a line out cable is a good idea to feed the DAC?

Appreciate and advice here.  More up on the studio thing, but new to the HP optimising thing.
Thanks!

Yes it would be advisable to bring a source

May 7, 2011 at 9:08 AM Post #207 of 211

Quote:
Sorry for the waffling but a friend with a car (and Stax) has shown interest in going, and I've gotten a good bit of work done so I can be free for the afternoon. If there's space, we may be dropping by around 12-2pm... if we do come there will be the addition of:
My SSMH + GrubDAC, uDac2, laptops, Darth Beyer V2s, balanced v3 K501s, HD650 (maybe), Stax SR202/SRM252, and/or Stax SRM-T1/mk2 Lambda Pro (not sure if we need to bring two Stax setups; if someone wants to hear both respond to this post or send a PM...

Wow, please come, with the gears. last post before heading to the carnival of headfiers.

May 7, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #208 of 211
Gotcha.
I Wasn't sure if there was typically a few community sources at meets and different HP amps were compared using the same source & DAC. It seems there are several contained listening environments. Look forward to meeting y'all later.

May 7, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #209 of 211
Just got home.  More than 6 hours of driving (whew!).  But at least I had the good company of Paul ("1974") which made the drive easier.

Lee did a fantastic job as host, and found places for setups all over the house.  You never knew what room would open unto more electronic treasures.

Highlights for me:
* Meeting many of the Head-Fi'ers whose posts I've been reading and admiring
* Getting to hear Ari's vintage Grados, and Shalingang's woodied 325's on my Mapletree Audio amp.  Boy are they a great match with this amp!
* Hearing the R10's for the first time in almost 10 years.  I had forgotten how smooth and rich these guys are.  Too bad SONY dropped them just before the headphone market heated up.
* Ari's homemade transformer-coupled amp, really sweet and crystal clear.  Amazing what a smart guy can do with just a handful of parts, and some decent transformers.
* Seeing all the different takes on how to get good sound with LCD-2's.  There were at least 4 setups at the meet, and a lot more if you counted all the Woo amps sprouting up all over.
* Being able to walk around headphones in hand and listen to all these different setups.  The Isabellina was a treat (once we got it upstairs on a better source).  I thought brasewel's Apache setup was pretty special too.
* Watching Prashant get all bright-eyed over the Shiit Lyr
* chatting with Howard ("lofty") about computer audio and the insanity of high-end gear

Good time, and again Lee, you're the best!

Frank

May 7, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #210 of 211
Listening to talk radio on the ride home:  Osama Bin Lauden's last words -- "I need a house full of seals like I need a hole in the head..."

This while I was stuck for 35 minutes trying to get to the Holland Tunnel.  A laugh was just what I needed right then.

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

Back