Southeast PA mini meet impressions
May 8, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #16 of 48
Did someone say 'pictures'?

Many more to follow

May 8, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #17 of 48

Quote:
Thank you RWA ... your gear made quite a buzz as well.

Thanks to all of you who gave the balanced Isabellina a listen!  I hope you enjoyed it, especially with the LCD-2s
wink.gif

Quote:
Next up was a RWA balanced amp/dac that in RWA tradition was SLA powered.

Hi JP,

LIAR!  We don't use SLA batteries anymore - its all LiFePO4 with tube stage.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for giving it a listen!

Thanks to Lee for hosting the mini-meet - wish I could have made it yesterday.  So the next closest one is in NJ this July? 

Glad you all had fun!

Vinnie

May 8, 2011 at 4:58 PM Post #18 of 48
Thanks to Lee for his hospitality and use of his house - he was a great host through and through. It was fun meeting some new people and seeing some people I had met before at other meets - it's fun to see what new things people have several months later. Ari as usual was a bag of fun, bringing a box of mysteries along with his transformer amp and Bottlehead (and his K1000s! <3 ) I'm also glad Ross was able to show up, since I was somewhat familiar with his B22 and HD800s from before. We arrived late so we didn't have as much time to listen to the different setups, and apparently there was more gear upstairs that I completely missed (would've liked to see the Lyr). It sounds like Aaron (my friend and car-driver) had a lot of fun at this meet, and our Stax (well, mostly his Stax) seemed to be a big hit for everyone who listened to them. For anyone for which this was their first meet, I would highly recommend going to more east-coast mini-meets, as most of the guys here are quite knowledgeable and great guys to talk with. Big thanks to everyone who attended and brought gear/headphones/knowledge to this meet!

May 8, 2011 at 7:28 PM Post #19 of 48
Lee, thanks again for hosting such a great meet. With so many rooms to listen in I found this way more helpful than the New York meet in analyzing different gear. And thanks too for all the food!

As for gear, I was most impressed with Ari's K1000's. I really love a huge soundstage, and those are just unbeatable (my poor STAX Lambda Pro's...). They felt so fun and musical that even if they don't have the clarity of electrostatics they're still excellent. I also really enjoyed Paul's Denon D5000's. They had a great punch in the bass but also seemed quite transparent in the mids (forgive me if I don't actually know what I'm talking about -- new to the lingo).

It was nice getting to meet everybody at the meet, and thanks for letting me, probably the noobiest head-fier there, listen to all of that amazing gear. My girlfriend had a great time, too. I'll post some pictures I took soon.

May 8, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #21 of 48
+1 for most awesomest handle ever. 

I had a great time at the meet. It was awesome meeting all the new people, and catching up with everyone else. Thanks very much to Lee & family for hosting us.

Pretty much everything I heard was sounding great, the highlight for me was Chris.d.m.s amp. It sounds nice, and was fun to play with :) Its always fun to hear something new & unique. 

Other highlights were finding some new-to-me music. 

A few pics:

May 8, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #22 of 48
Loving that 14mm, Ari!

May 8, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #23 of 48

May 9, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #27 of 48

Many thanks to Lee, the sponsors, and all attendees. Also a big thanks to Frank for the ride.

Some nice shots there, Lee. Thankfully I look more presentable in the second batch you posted. My expression and knob tweaking fingers would be just as at home cracking the code on a bank fault.

Headphone-wise I didn't find anything that bettered my Denon 7000s, other than the R10s of course. Prashant took the HE-5LEs I brought along, so I made a sale too - huzzah!

Amp-wise I was hoping that there'd be something around the 1k mark that would outshine my EF5 with the 7000s. I think the Woo 6SE fills that slot and I'm still thinking of buying Lee's. It might only be a slight improvement though, so I'm weighing up whether it's $500 better. In hindsight, I should have A/Bed the two amps. The Woo 2 actually sounded better at lower volumes, but distorted with my low impedence 7000s at high volume. Lee helpfully explained why, it being an OTL amp, etc. Of course amps like the Apache and RWA were far superior in quality than anything else there, but a little more than I want to spend right now.

May 9, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #28 of 48
I still feel SR-Lamda Pros are ridiculously good for the price.  =]

I think JP and Ross would agree with me.  ($5-600 for amp and HP - are you kidding me?)

The Stax have almost no isolation (like KKs) and it helped that when I first listened to them with music I was familiar with, nobody else was in the room.

I came home with 1974's 5LEs today, but will probably end up with the Lambda Pros at some point in the future to have a proper face-off at home.

Thanks everyone who helped me narrow down my next headphone (and the one after that).

May 9, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #30 of 48

Quote:
My setup - music playing, volume up, no headphones plugged in! Wait until I catch you mystery listener - I'll box your ears. 
mad.gif

Earthlings can be rude.

Got to sleep at 5 am on Friday night and totally blew this one. Really sorry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back