South Florida Travel Advice
Mar 17, 2006 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gtp

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey Everyone,

I posted this question on TripAdvisor's forums and basically got no responses. Since the people here are so nice, I figured I would ask here!

My wife and I are flying to Miami April 8-13 (Sat-Thurs before Easter). We are 30 year-olds from UpperSoCal, who have never been to Florida. We are more of active types rather than lie-on-the-beach-with-a-Corona/Mojito types. Interested in culture, physical beauty, etc.

First, do we have a chance to see a lot and not be overrun with crazy Spring Breakers? For some reason, I am picturing a state overrun with crazy college kids and Northern families.

We will be renting a car, and we would like to see the big sites in South Florida. As we understand, the must-do's in SoFlo are checking out Miami, driving down to Key West, and seeing the Everglades. Is this correct, or are there other must-see places?

Basically we have no real ideas or itinerary, so any and all advice is appreciated. If anyone can recommend nicer towns to stay in, or where to stay out of, that is appreciated too. For instance, are there ghetto areas of Miami we have to be wary of when booking a hotel?

Thanks in advance and sorry for being so vague,
George

Mar 18, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #2 of 6
Key West is pretty cool. The drive is nice, though less exciting since they closed the two-lane bridges in favor of the much wider one-way bridges. There are things to see along the drive down from Miami (Dolphin Institute, Bahia Honda State Park).

The city itself (Key West) is fun, with quite a few different bars and restaraunts. Nothing really 4-star, as I recall, but fun.

You've got some culture (Hemminway house), as well as a smallish aquarium stocked with local marine life (you can "pet" a nurse shark if you like) and the Mel Fisher Museum, which I found fairly interesting. Of course you can also take the trolly tour of the city which is informative and stops at some of the citiy's key landmarks, such as light houses, and allows you to get a good feeling for the culture and architecture. You will also find the seemingly hundreds of gift shops.

And don't forget the party on the pier at the foot of Simon Street where the locals gather every evening to watch/applaud the sunset, which also includes various street performers. Like they say at "Hooters" - It's delightfully tacky.

Since you don't seem interested in the beach scene, I won't get into the topless sunbathers...

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:11 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Since you don't seem interested in the beach scene, I won't get into the topless sunbathers...

But he said he was interested in physical beauty!
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 18, 2006 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 6
You could go to Key Biscayne and rent sailboat/jet ski/surf boards whatever suits your needs. South beach is a great place to see a lot of Art Deco buildings as well as beautiful people (warning: toplesss beautifu women every where on the beach ---> wear shades
biggrin.gif
)

Take a day trip to the keys, lost of deep sea fishing of Tavenier or Islamorada. You could also go to "Calle 8" for some good Cuban food. Good luck.

Mar 18, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 6
I'm planning a trip to Key West with the family a week after you. I live in central Florida, and have been to Miami a few times. It's always for business, so never aquainted myself with the area well enough to report on the best areas. Of course, South Beach will be a great area.

West Palm Beach is worth a look to see how rich life can be.

As for hotels, I think as long as you stay with a major chain, or stay on South Beach, you'll be OK. Miami covers a lot of land, the hotel search should tell you how for you are away from major tourist traps.

Can you post a report on Key West after your return? I have a loose idea of the points to hit, but you might find a gem that is not too touristy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back