South Bay area Head-Fi meet late 2016 + impressions - Alum Rock Library 11-26-16
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #94 of 116
Super fun meeting!!  Thanks to Levi for putting it together.  Thanks to everybody who brought their gear and generously shared.  

A few pics I managed to take...

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #97 of 116
So I ended up having some spare time this afternoon and made the 45 miles drive to Alum Rock.
Arrived at 3:40PM, almost everyone had already cleared out :frowning2:

Would not mind trying to have another event, in the future, but maybe something more in the middle of the Bay Area?

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:12 PM Post #98 of 116
@PurpleAngel I feel so sorry for ya! There were some absolutely sensational sounding jawdropping rigs there. Too much excitement, we were mostly starting to tire by around 3:15 and getting ready to go home. And as mentioned, this was the last meet I am setting up (busy schedule / relocation plans), so setting up the next event is on you guys... I wish you success! The middle of the bay area can be intepreted as perhaps Daly City, Oakland or SF?

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #99 of 116
I'm not sure this smaller meet warrants an impression thread, unless anyone thinks it's needed? I for one am mostly just going to post impressions on the relevant product threads, such as the Holo Audio Spring DAC thread.

For me, the two biggest standouts by far were:
  1. GSX MK II amp (dual units) with Holo Audio Spring DAC Level 3 via Singxer SU-1 with Focal Utopia headphones. Mind melting, breathtaking sonic refinement with frighteningly good realism and perhaps the best bass definition I've ever heard. HD-800 were phenomenal on this rig too, but not so much HD-650.
    Worth the $11,400 price tag if you've got the dough 
  2. Cary audio Sli 80 Ultimate edition Integrated Tube amp with Eastern Electric Minimax modded DAC via USB disruptor & Mutec MC3+ with HD 800 (and probably Focal Utopia too but didn't try that pairing). Immense refinement, astonishing dimension of realism and punchyness

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #100 of 116
  @PurpleAngel I feel so sorry for ya! There were some absolutely sensational sounding jawdropping rigs there. Too much excitement, we were mostly starting to tire by around 3:15 and getting ready to go home. And as mentioned, this was the last meet I am setting up (busy schedule / relocation plans), so setting up the next event is on you guys... I wish you success! The middle of the bay area can be interpreted as perhaps Daly City, Oakland or SF?

I was thinking of places around the west ( Foster City, San Mateo) or east (Hayward, Union City) ends of the Sam Mateo bridge (92).
No matter which side of the bay a Head-Fier might live on, 92 makes it a short trip going one way or another.
I figure anyone in the south bay that was willing to drive to Alum Rock would not have an issue (driving distance) with a meeting place somewhere off 92.

Anyone know how many people showed up for today Alum rock meet?
Was the meet crowded at all?
Would more space be need if we could get more people at a future event?

Nov 26, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #101 of 116
  I'm not sure this smaller meet warrants an impression thread, unless anyone thinks it's needed? 

Could you not just change the title of this thread?

Call it the "South Bay Area Alum Rock meeting (Nov 2016) Impression Thread".
Or title it whatever your heart fancies?

Nov 26, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #102 of 116
Changed the thread title. Feel free to post impressions and photos here too.

The community room of about 75x100ft was the perfect size, even for up to 100 people, but today was only up to 25 people. A weekend on late Jan. or Feb. is a better time to host, as it seems everybody was out with family or put off by the rain today. And it's better to post a thread two months in advance for the word to get around more.

Update on the above post. I'm sure the Cary Audio SLi 80 tube amp can sound at least as good as the GSX MK 2 amp with the Holo Audio Springs DAC, with the added benefit of tube rolling. And the Holo Audio Springs DAC can be had for around 1/3rd the price for level one, but then the Cary Audio tube amp bumps the final cost even more than the above figure.

Nov 27, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #104 of 116

@PurpleAngel I feel so sorry for ya! There were some absolutely sensational sounding jawdropping rigs there. Too much excitement, we were mostly starting to tire by around 3:15 and getting ready to go home. And as mentioned, this was the last meet I am setting up (busy schedule / relocation plans), so setting up the next event is on you guys... I wish you success! The middle of the bay area can be interpreted as perhaps Daly City, Oakland or SF?

I was thinking of places around the west ( Foster City, San Mateo) or east (Hayward, Union City) ends of the Sam Mateo bridge (92).
No matter which side of the bay a Head-Fier might live on, 92 makes it a short trip going one way or another.
I figure anyone in the south bay that was willing to drive to Alum Rock would not have an issue (driving distance) with a meeting place somewhere off 92.

Anyone know how many people showed up for today Alum rock meet?
Was the meet crowded at all?
Would more space be need if we could get more people at a future event?

I am good driving to 92.  The meeting had maybe 30 people and space more than enough.  We did not use the middle tables.

Great that you are moving the tradition ahead, @PurpleAngel.  I actually find the smaller meetings more fun, as you get time to better know people.  I am good to help in any way I can.

Nov 27, 2016 at 1:11 AM Post #105 of 116

I am good driving to 92.  The meeting had maybe 30 people and space more than enough.  We did not use the middle tables.

Great that you are moving the tradition ahead, @PurpleAngel.  I actually find the smaller meetings more fun, as you get time to better know people.  I am good to help in any way I can.

Hey Walfredo, might be helpful if you could brainstorm up some ideas on what might make people want to show up at a headphone get together.

Guess I should start scouting out possible locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back