Sourcing Copper wire
Jul 31, 2006 at 3:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gigit

100+ Head-Fier
Maybe I've been searching for the wrong things but i cannot seem to find by searching anywhere where i can get bare copper wire in 24 and 35 AWG for headphone recabling and DIY interconnects. Links to any website(s) would be much appreciated, along with links of places where i can get teflon tubing for the cables.

So far I have found a couple places to get 24 AWG wire, but I would like to be able to get some 35ish AWG copper wire from there also. A reliable place to get similar gauge silver wire would be much appreciated as well. Thanks.

Jul 31, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 4
If you don't mind a little enamel (which can be easily removed), motor rewinding shops are a good place to find copper wire in pretty much any AWG for relatively cheap. I picked up about 9lbs of 24AWG double enameled copper magnet wire (the sort used to wind transformers) for $10 in Seattle a few years ago. You might be able to find the same sort of deal, especially if you only want a few yards of something small like 35AWG. It won't be anything fancy like Grado's HPLC copper, but it will be pretty decent wire and relatively strong with the enamel finish (and insulated to boot). The phonebook will be your best best to find that sort of establishment, not the internet
smily_headphones1.gif

Best,
-V

Jul 31, 2006 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 4
This isn't an exact match for your needs, but you could check seller 'Navships' from Ebay.

He has 24awg and 32 awg wires. However the wires are teflon insulated and mostly they are silver plated copper. He doesn't have bare copper wire.

I have bought from him and I would deal with him any time again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back