Sources for Headphone Cables?
Sep 24, 2009 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

sknight

Head-Fier
I checked the mastery DIY sticky already, but didn't find much to answer the question.

I have Shure E3's and the cables are splitting. I used to live in the US, where I bought them, not live in Germany. So I'm looking to recable them myself, as I could probably save over sending them to Shure and paying for another fragile cable.

Anyone that has a good selection or cables (and possibly plugs) and also sends to the EU? I could have them sent to my home in the US, but that's not optimal...

I could probably bug Shure for a new cable and I could install it, but that's not optimal. I only want to do this once. I could always buy a cheap set and gut them, but that's not optimal, either. I want to do this once.

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 3
Recabling IEM's is very difficult and isn't really worth it. In order to get to the solder points, you'd have to pry apart the glue holding it together. When you're done, you'd also have to glue it back together seamlessly if you want to keep a similar sound signature compared to before.

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for the answer. I was wondering about that, but I saw someone took apart other shures (I think the e4), and the idea looked similar, in comparison to the e2. It seems like it's possible...

Shure offers the service, but for that price, I'd rather repair these and get something new, or gut another. It doesn't make sense to get Shure cables again.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/shu...ection-336331/

I've recabled Etymotics, but those were a cinch. I used a cheap Sony wire there, but it was way better quality than ety's cheap wires. I'd at least like to try, even if I'm getting new ones anyhow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back