Source Upgrade Time, please give me some guidance
May 16, 2005 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

overlunge

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have been concentrated on acquiring headphones and finding best amps that would drive them. Now comes a time that to upgrade the source. I am currently using a Sony DVD player as a source to play CD's. After determine my budget... I realise I have a few choices, and being a noob, it's getting mighty confusing, any quidance to point me towards a particular ones will be much much appreciated...

1. Used Meridian 506
2. New Sony SACD player (SCDXB790S)
3. New Cambridge DVD player (DVD300)
4. New NAD C-521BEE

Thank you,
Overlunge

May 17, 2005 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Hi all,

I have been concentrated on acquiring headphones and finding best amps that would drive them. Now comes a time that to upgrade the source. I am currently using a Sony DVD player as a source to play CD's. After determine my budget... I realise I have a few choices, and being a noob, it's getting mighty confusing, any quidance to point me towards a particular ones will be much much appreciated...

1. Used Meridian 506
2. New Sony SACD player (SCDXB790S)
3. New Cambridge DVD player (DVD3004. New NAD C-521BEE)

Thank you,
Overlunge

I have never heard the Meridian 506 but my 507.24 is a nice CD. player I paid $1000.00 used from Here. He wanted $1295.00 for mine too he will deal and he may come across a used 506 for you, he sells a lot of the Meridian CD. players.

Again I love my Meridian well built very heavy beatiful to look at and the sound is great for my ears. Good luck. PS. I looked at your profile and the Rock drums and Bass:.. to me say go Meridian!

May 18, 2005 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 6
That Meridian G07 looks mighty tasty on that site. You couldn't go wrong with that (I have the G08).
cool.gif

May 19, 2005 at 4:19 AM Post #5 of 6
Hi recstar24, immtbiker, and markmaxx,

Thank you all for your opinions, much appreciated.

I pop'ed down to my local Meridian dealer today, and had a listen to the 506.16 and 508.20 using my Perreaux SXH2 and Grado HP-2. I found the 508 has more details but sounded lack of musicality. Might suit the SA5000 better.

I loved the 506, although slightly backwards in terms of technology, but the warmth and musicality was amazing. Didn't have chance to setup my RS1/RA1 combo, but I was sure that I'd love it as well.

I realise the only weakness I have in my setup is my IC. But I have some Kimber PJB on the way... should bring more warmth to the system.

I put the deposit on the 506 straight away, so here I'm waiting for a couple of funds to go into my account so I can officially join the Meridian family.. he he.

Thank you all again,
Overlunge

May 19, 2005 at 11:41 AM Post #6 of 6
Meridian owners unite!

In my opinion, it doesn't matter if you go back a couple of upgrades. As long as it sounds good to you
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back