Source that has inputs and can play movies and game
Feb 5, 2008 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

tusk

Head-Fier
Are there any cards that can be used for everyday use such as gaming and watching movies, but also has very good DAC, and recording possibilities.

Let's say 3 inputs at least. Mic, Guitar, and keyboard.

Is the Creative X-Fi Platinum the only option, or are there better ones?

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 9
If you plan to record with professional microphones, you'll need something with microphone preamplifiers.

Check out the E-MU 0404 USB. It's the least expensive audio interface with mic preamps worth recommending.

Feb 5, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 9
So is the 0202 USB not worth it?

Will this work for movies and games as well, or would a sound card plus the emu be best? I am in college so cheaper is better.

Is the Chaintech plus the emu 0404 the way to go for what I am looking at?

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 9
No need to bother with the Chaintech (it's been discontinued for a few months now anyway).

The 0202 has an inferior DAC section, and--I just learned this today--cannot provide phantom power to its single microphone preamp. This severely limits your microphone selection, since you won't be able to power condenser microphones.

I've used the 0404 USB for gaming, and even over USB, I didn't notice any lag or slowdowns in some intense Battlefield 2 sessions.
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the help. Just one more question.
I was thinking of some studio monitors to be the output. Could I just play my keyboard/ guitar through those rather than my $25 amp?
Sorry for newbish questions, but I just keep hearing about lag on this thing, and I don't really know if I can use it for all that I want to if it has lag, or is it too little of lag to notice at all?

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 9
You can hook up your keyboard through the front combo jacks, though you'll have to use audio/recording software to pan the channels left and right (assuming your keyboard has stereo outputs).

I'd advise against plugging your guitar directly into the 0404 USB. The guitar signal may overload the preamp. I've seen reports of distortion and failure that may have been caused by directly plugging in, possibly due to the guitar's high impedance output. In general, it's better to use a D.I. box to convert your guitar's unbalanced high-impedance signal to a balanced low-impedance mic level, since this is what the preamp typically expects. I plan to ask E-MU about the possibility of direct plugging to get a final answer.

If you do plug in directly or via D.I., you'll probably want to use a guitar simulator plug-in to make it sound like you're plugged into an actual amp. Otherwise, the direct guitar tone can be uninspiring. The 0404 USB comes with a free little plug-in for this purpose: IK Multimedia AmpliTube LE, a limited version of the AmpliTube software.

I've never noticed any obvious lag with the interface. Part of it may depend on your computer's speed, but chances are it's more than good enough to handle the tiny extra load.

Feb 6, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks infinitesymphony. What about the software. I hear that you can only use their software. Is that true? Is it a drawback.

Next I was thinking of getting studio monitors to go with it. Any quick suggestions, even though this isn't the place?
Then maybe an amp when I have enough money.

Feb 6, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #8 of 9
You'll have to install the E-MU drivers, but beyond that, you're free to use whatever recording/playback software you want. The 0404 USB becomes the default sound device once it's turned on and plugged in; Windows will take care of the routing for you. Basically, it's no different from any other sound card you'll use.

I have plenty of suggestions for active studio monitors (which IMO is the 0404 USB's true purpose). What's your budget for the speaker pair, and do you have any sonic / sound signature preferences?

There was a recent thread about it too--here's the link.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back