Source & sibilance?
Sep 3, 2009 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

xviruz

New Head-Fier
Over the past few days I've just began noticing "sound stage" w/ my RE2 (it's been 100 hrs+ now). Right now I'm using my phone as source and the stage sounds tiny, but it's huge (in comparison) with my computer as source. The strange thing I've noticed is that the sibilance has greatly increased, and now I hear a lot of annoying sharp Ss, SHs, and even Ts! I checked using my computer as source and most of it is gone. Curious as to whether the source is the reason for this? I'm planning to get the new Clip+ when it materializes in stores.. I'm guessing the SQ will be leaps and bounds ahead of my phone, but will it also rid of this painful sibilance?

Sep 3, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #2 of 7
Which phone are you using as a DAP? What encoding/file type did you use for your music?

Sometimes sibilance could be attributed to the 'phones you are using rather than the source.

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #3 of 7
The one aspect that I really like about the RE2 is that, despite its low price and excellent treble detail, it has virtually no sibilance whatsoever (to my ear), particularly when connected to the Sansa Clip. That, combined with the fact that you hear very little sibilance from your computer, gives me the impression that the sibilance is coming from your phone.

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #4 of 7
The phone I'm using is the SE K850, and the files in question are all MP3 320kbps CBR. Yeah, one of the reasons I thought it might not be due to the RE2s was because quite a lot of reviews and users said that there was little sibilance, plus I find it strange that it would suddenly appear over time (it wasn't this bad a few days before).

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #5 of 7
I have check to the Sensitivity of RE2, It is 103dB/1mW , I think it is belong to high sensivity phones. which can detect any tiny sound of your dap.

So the critical parts is your dap. you should have a hi fi grade DAP to control the sibilance.

The controlly capability of the sibilance is one guid line of a decent DAP. the normal DAP is hard to controll it. some DAP is too bright in the highs, it can cause the sibilance. some DAP is too muddy, the sound is harsh.

So you should looking for the suitable dap. or a DAP/AMP to deal with the hiss problem.

In my experience, AMP3 have a very good balance between bright and muddy. it almost has no sibilance and keep the detail and crisp highs.

Sep 4, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 7
Ah I see, thanks for the insight. I'm running them thru E5, which is doing nothing in terms of sibilance (at least it doesn't hiss). AMP3 is out of my price range, so I'll just go for a Clip+. It seems like that should resolve the issue.

Sep 4, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have check to the Sensitivity of RE2, It is 103dB/1mW , I think it is belong to high sensivity phones. which can detect any tiny sound of your dap.

So the critical parts is your dap. you should have a hi fi grade DAP to control the sibilance.

The controlly capability of the sibilance is one guid line of a decent DAP. the normal DAP is hard to controll it. some DAP is too bright in the highs, it can cause the sibilance. some DAP is too muddy, the sound is harsh.

So you should looking for the suitable dap. or a DAP/AMP to deal with the hiss problem.

In my experience, AMP3 have a very good balance between bright and muddy. it almost has no sibilance and keep the detail and crisp highs.

I agree about the DAP conclusion and would like to add the following, but not because of the sensivity of the headphones. A while back I tested how my K701 would sound right out of two different cellphones, one being a SE K610i and the other being an iPhone 3GS. As you might or might not know the K701 needs a powerfull amp and neither of the phones have that. Anyway the outcome with identical files (AAC320) made me think very little of the K610i HP out. It sounded terrible, unlistenable acctually. The topend was really distorted and there were massive amounts of disturbance in the sound, different kind of hissing noises at quite high frequencies. The iPhone sounded just fine but couldn't drive the phones to any respectable level without distorting making it sound hard with little or not enough bass impact. My conclusion is that the hp out of the SE phone is horrible (in an absolute sense) but that you still can live with it if you don't have to demanding and reveiling headphones connected to it. Therefore you need a better DAP since your (new) headphones are too good for your recent DAP (that's what I think).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back