Source replacement quandary
Sep 19, 2020 at 12:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

willw

100+ Head-Fier
My Fiio x5ii is starting to misbehave and it's time to replace it. I use it to store & play FLAC files ripped from CDs, mostly through line out to my Arcam Alpha 9 integrated amp which drives 2 Dynaudio speakers. When I use headphones I run them from the Arcam.

I'm tempted by the new M11, but as I really only need to store & play audio files via wired connection to the Arcam amp, all the rest - wifi, streaming, apps etc are superfluous to my requirements, so I balk at spending the money on stuff I don't want or need, just to get better SQ.

So I'm looking at alternatives to a portable DAP as the source, and I'm wondering whether my Macbook Pro into a Topping E30 DAC via USB and thence into my Arcam would give me a noticeable increase in sound quality from the Fiio X5ii - or even an equivalent sound quality to the Fiio M11! The E30 has a lot of good reviews, and I note it has the same DAC chip as the M11 (although just one).

Please note I only need a DAC and not a headphone amp. I've already rejected the Fiio K5 Pro for that reason.

The real question here is - how does the Topping E30 sound compared to the Fiio M11?

Thanks.

Will

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back