Source recommendations for bedroom set up
Jul 9, 2015 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rwalkerphl

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I'm in a dilemma. I've put together a bedroom rig - Geek Pulse feeding ZMF Vibro X's. Now I need a source. I want to be able to play lossless, but also use a streaming music service. I need to charge my iPhone 6 at night, so unless there is a way to charge it while connected to the Pulse, that's out. I have a FiiO X5, but that doesn't stream.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:33 AM Post #3 of 11
I tested this morning, and the iPhone needs the Camera Adaptor to work. I haven't been able to get the phone to charge when the Camera Adaptor is attached - Anyone have any luck with that?

Thanks!

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 11
  I tested this morning, and the iPhone needs the Camera Adaptor to work. I haven't been able to get the phone to charge when the Camera Adaptor is attached - Anyone have any luck with that?

Of course it needs it, that's what activates data streaming apart from having iTunes or another sync software on a computer. Like I posted above, what I meant was to try the iPhone+CCK-USB adapter hooked up to a powered USB hub along with the DAC, not hooking up the iPhone to a USB hub with the stock data cable. 

These tend to be hit and miss though, but in any case somewhere in the iPad DACs thread many have been able to run DACs that need power using a powered hub and in at least one case the iPad started charging. It shouldn't be different with any iPhone that can otherwise run a USB DAC.

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #5 of 11

Apologies, I wasn't clear - I did test using a powered USB Hub. Its not the DAC that needs power, its the phone. It looks like the camera adaptor doesn't provide charging to the phone.

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #6 of 11
Apologies, I wasn't clear - I did test using a powered USB Hub. Its not the DAC that needs power, its the phone. It looks like the camera adaptor doesn't provide charging to the phone.

Like I said, that's a hit and miss. I did mention in the previous post that in at least one case I remember there was one in the iPad DACs thread where the iPad started charging using one kind of USB hub. I don't recall other cases or maybe they just didn't mention anymore that they were charging the iPad while using a DAC and a powered USB hub, since the DAC compatibility was the main point. The one I tried with mine didn't either (a Belkin). That thread slowed down and got buried after iOS7 made USB audio a standard feature.

Some desktop iOS DACs charge devices hooked up to them, like the NuForce iDo. It has a coaxial SPDIF output so you can still use it with the Geek Pulse. Just not sure where to get them as I can't seem to get past the main page of Amazon right now (internet service is cutting in and out thanks to a double whammy of typhoons since Sunday that only took a break last Tuesday). You could try eBay though.

https://www.nuforce.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&layout=item&id=25&Itemid=188/

Jul 9, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #7 of 11
Ah! That's it! If I get another device between the phone and Pulse that will charge, then I am good to go - I am guessing that will need to be a device that has the apple chip in that is in the adapter. I hadn't thought of that - Awesome, thanks so much!

Jul 9, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 11
Ah! That's it! If I get another device between the phone and Pulse that will charge, then I am good to go - I am guessing that will need to be a device that has the apple chip in that is in the adapter. I hadn't thought of that - Awesome, thanks so much!

It that doesn't work, or you would simply like a dedicated player--assuming the Geek Pulse's DAC works with Android--get an Android tablet or find a used Android mobile phone that will work with it. I have an old Note 2 that I can use just like a tablet when connected to wifi even though I don't have a sim card in it any more.

Jul 10, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 11

There's also the Pure i20 if you can still find it, but development and sales of such audio gear ground to a halt after iOS7 enabled USB audio especially since Apple charges for the license to use that chip and slap a "Made for i(device)" on the box. Some DAC-HPamps (more powerful ones) still retain the dedicated iDevice input - Shanling makes one such DAC-HPamp-Preamp - but I'm not sure if it charges. It isn't even all that popular here on Head-Fi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back