Source Question
Feb 16, 2009 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Lurid

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking of upgrading my desktop and was wondering if an upgrade to the sound card or amp or (most likely) DAC would be more beneficial to my MS2i's. I'm thinking the DAC but any input is appreciated.

Feb 16, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #3 of 11
Well considering my MS2i's are lower impedance i'm thinking they wouldn't benefit as much from amping, and so DAC or source. I haven't read much on the sound card influence with headphones though, so I thought i'd ask.

Feb 16, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #4 of 11
Do the DAC. You should notice a difference in clarity with that immediately, at least that is my experience. I think with my primary system it was the biggest change that i noticed.

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for the advice. Any recommendations on a DAC in the $100 - $150 range? Trying to find the best price / performance ratio.

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:16 AM Post #6 of 11
well do you have any source component for digital, or does it need to bring that as well?

also, just to throw it out there, if you're just gonna go with a DAC, you'll need an amplifier, as line level into Grado's probably wouldn't sound so great

I'd look at a combo unit in the $150+ range, or go even more complex and get a full on audio processor, like the E-MU 0404 or one of the M-Audio FastTrack units

the benefits of an amplifier with Grado hp's, imho, are just increased control, it doesn't really improve "can they get loud", it just means more controlled sound, the D/A will improve clarity (as dallan has said) and resolution, having both in good shape will do wonders

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:30 AM Post #7 of 11
Alright, so a decent all in one would be good vs two seperates? I would prefer an all in one if they're on par within the same price constraints. I could stretch my budget to $200ish if it means a significant improvement. I'm just trying to avoid the law of diminishing returns as much as possible.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif
I have the source component (Assuming sound card doesn't get upgraded it will be the audio line out on my DFI Blood Iron)

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #9 of 11
if you're getting a USB device, you wouldn't be using the onboard sound, it would be simply ignored

if you're using a D/A, you wouldn't be using the audio line-out from that board, you'd be taking the digital output

and if you're going with an hp amp soundcard, you'd be ignoring the onboard as well

hitting the law of diminishing returns won't happen until roughly $1000+ (in other words, far more expensive equipment than you're talking about), so don't begin to worry about that

personally I'd go the E-MU/M-Audio/ESI route, get a good source with an alright headphone amplifier, and add a good discrete amp later if you want to

Feb 16, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #11 of 11
see, the 0404 isn't a DAC, its a full processor, and includes a headphone amplifier (a DAC is NOT an amplifier, its simply a chip or series of chips that take digital signals and make them analog), the hp stage on the 0404 is good enough, and you can always add other devices via line out connections if you'd like (which lets you upgrade/tweak/whatever)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back