Source question: cheap SACD player?
Nov 19, 2001 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

royboy2k

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking into the Sony DVP-NS500V and I have a few questions. I know probably nobody has this unit already, but hopefully you can still help me.

I'm in the market for a relatively cheap DVD player, and after seeing that Sony model which includes SACD playback, I was thinking it could be a nice source upgrade as well.

My current source is an old Sony CD player (CDP-291). Dunno where it stands quality wise, but I'm assuming it's not great. I listen with my Senn HD580s mostly, as well as some older mid-fi(?) speakers. Oh, and I don't have a headamp but I'm still working on that cmoy!
smily_headphones1.gif

My question is will that ~$300 Sony player be worth it just for its audio capabilities on my modest system, or should I look for a cheaper DVD player and throw the rest of my money elsewhere? In other words, is it worth it to shell out for SACD playback on a mid-end system (that could be upgraded in the future).

Nov 19, 2001 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 7
After hearing the 500V, and then getting my 9000ES, I'd have to say very firmly, look into Sony's ES lineup if you really want to go with Sony. Most of the Sony bashing comes up because of their consumer lineup stuff which sounds very mediocre. The NS500V is a very tempting for it's bang for the buck features, but I'm glad I decided to go the high route and get the 9000ES over it. The 9000ES just walks, stomps, grinds, and then shines its boots with the 500V.
very_evil_smiley.gif

What the 500V is very attractive as however in the future, even to me, is for its ability to play multichannel SACDs. If I ever rig up a nice 5.1 system, I'd probably pick up a 500V for the ability to play multichannel SACDs only. What would be a good route is to get a good CDP now...and in the future, get that 500V as a DVD player. If you go with a 333ES, the 500V would add on multichannel as well. If you go with say, the 222ES which is about $450 new from Oade.com, then you could just get any old DVD player you want.

Nov 19, 2001 at 1:01 AM Post #3 of 7
You make good points, but I want a dvd player NOW, much more so than a new CDP. You don't think the 500V would be worth it for its audio merits? And hey I would love something from the ES line, but I just can't afford it. The 500V would at least be an upgrade right?

Nov 19, 2001 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 7
If you really can't push for the 222 and MUST have DVD now, then yes the 500V is probably the best in its price range right now. Unless of course you want to shell out $50 more for the 650V which is the 500V + 5 disc carousel.
biggrin.gif
You'll at least get the opportunity to listen to SACDs, which are very very good...if redbook CDs don't sound any better than what you have now, SACDs will definitely sound way better.

Nov 19, 2001 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 7
Thanks guys. I just needed a little encouragement.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2001 at 3:12 AM Post #7 of 7
If you are mainly interested in DVD/CD playback, you could also get one those entry Pioneer DVDPs and have Dan Wright do mods on it:

About $150 for the DVD + $275 for the level I mods or $400 for the level II mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back