Source problem - Denon C700
Apr 9, 2008 at 9:48 AM Post #16 of 18
if you really want to make the bass come out of the ipod or any other bass-roll off player (means everything except sony and the clip and fuze) then you should either get an amp to unload the headphone out or an impedence adapter.

i use the latter and it adds 75 ohm resistance. the bass difference is amazing while still retaining treble. there is almost no hiss even from my quite a hissy source: my laptop.

the touch does sound better than any laptop i have heard with iems and canals but with big phones i do prefer the laptop to any portable.

as for sq, of the touch being poor, ill just laugh here and end it at that - you aren't really going to find better out there.

i should mention i am a former owner of: er4s, um2, denon c700, atrio m5, cx300, ep630. however, i never missed the cx300 when i went to the next step and since then have been lucky to get a phone that just sounds better for me with every purchase and sale.

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rman3008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used the Senn CX300 for quite some time and I really do love good bass.

You love lots of bass, not necessarily good bass (not that there's anything wrong with that). Its a tough thing to find in canalphones, but the C700s are a really good start. I actually thought there was more bass presence (especially deep bass) with the C700s than the cx300. I use a 2g nano connected to an iBasso T2 amp and there's plenty of bass with that combo. I think its a great portable amp - probably not the best in terms of sq, but it does the job well enough with good battery life and its size is hard to beat (plus it has a bass+ setting that you might enjoy
wink.gif
). The NWZ sony series is a good combo with the c700s, but you already have a touch... seems like a waste.

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rman3008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum (not sure if it was in headphones or sources), but I'm basically looking for suggestions.

I just got the Denon C700s and they work great, but the problem is that I'm currently playing them out of my laptop and the iPod Touch. The difference in SQ between the two sources is tremendous. The sound coming out of the laptop is phenomenally better than the iPod Touch and honestly, I'm willing to splurge some money to get this type of SQ everytime I travel around.

What should I do to make the improve the SQ of the iPod Touch? Do I need an amp? A better source? (And if so, any suggestions...the big thing I'm missing is bass from the iPod touch).

For the sake or reference, I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron 6000, Winamp with the preset at full bass and treble).

Thanks so much for your help.

Line out of the Touch is very good. A decent Line Out Dock into a decent amp will make a big difference.

At the low end you could get an S2 or barqy or highfliyin9 made LOD in the $50 range, and a PenguinAmp Caffeine in the $60-70 range (shipped), and be very happy. I have the Touch, S2 and barqy LOD and the Caffeine Pro and the C700, so I know how it sounds (the Caffeine is extremely similar to the Meier Headsix for sound). At the high end an ALO Jumbo Cryo Silver X LOD $165 with RSA predator $475 will be killer with the Touch and C700 (I have this setup too).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back