Source problem - Denon C700
Apr 8, 2008 at 7:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Rman3008

Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Sorry if this is the wrong forum (not sure if it was in headphones or sources), but I'm basically looking for suggestions.

I just got the Denon C700s and they work great, but the problem is that I'm currently playing them out of my laptop and the iPod Touch. The difference in SQ between the two sources is tremendous. The sound coming out of the laptop is phenomenally better than the iPod Touch and honestly, I'm willing to splurge some money to get this type of SQ everytime I travel around.

What should I do to make the improve the SQ of the iPod Touch? Do I need an amp? A better source? (And if so, any suggestions...the big thing I'm missing is bass from the iPod touch).

For the sake or reference, I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron 6000, Winamp with the preset at full bass and treble).

Thanks so much for your help.

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:43 PM Post #2 of 18
That's actually kinda wierd. usually laptop audio sucks (mine sure does). Do you want to stick with your Touch? No offense, but it isn;t the best sounding DAP out there. You may want to simply invest in another DAP (sorry about yor wallet). I would suggest the new Sony NWZ-A729.

Sony NWZ-A729

Apr 8, 2008 at 4:51 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rman3008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the sake or reference, I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron 6000, Winamp with the preset at full bass and treble).

Thanks so much for your help.

Well, it's really hard to compare sources when you have the bass and treble cranked up to the max. Perhaps the Winamp "max bass" setting is more than you can dial up the bass on the iPhone?

But honestly, if you need to set the bass / treble to max to get a decent sound, I wonder if you have a defective set of C700s.

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrbdmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But honestly, if you need to set the bass / treble to max to get a decent sound, I wonder if you have a defective set of C700s.

Yeah, that sounds odd. Maybe the OP maybe just isn't getting a good seal? That would wash the bass away completely. A good seal is critical for good sound with IEMs/canalphones.

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrbdmb /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow. Not sure how I missed that line, but he's right. The Denon's already have great bass and highs. There would be no noeed to EQ that high. I would definitely return them.

Apr 8, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 18
Sigh.
If you are getting better sound out of the laptop with treble/bass maxed out, then you are not after good sound to begin with. The Touch has better sound quality than most laptop headphone jacks. Either you have a bad seal, or defective headphones, or just like your sound completely mangled.

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #8 of 18
Most people have V curve frequency of hearing if i remember correctly. For me, i used to like to bumped up my EQ to V shaped, but now i don't normally use EQ (flat) as i want to really hear the natural sound of my amazing phone (C700) and my source unless it's for earphones like Ibuds. It a shame that Ipod doesn't have a custom EQ. I have Ipod Touch, using flat EQ for both C700 and C551 even my JBL 220 also and they sound great.

Apr 9, 2008 at 12:43 AM Post #9 of 18
Definitely return them. The C700s real strength is the bass and treble.
If you're having to turn up both to max there's a problem.

Most people think the bass is more than adequate with the treble bordering on 'too much' for some.
I can't even imagine a C700 with more treble than it already has!! It would slice my ears up
eek.gif

Apr 9, 2008 at 1:10 AM Post #10 of 18
Another Inspiron 6000 user! I myself also found the headphone out to sound good as well... But if you're willing to carry around the amp and you like your Touch, you can get an amp/DAC combo so you can enjoy sound with your laptop or DAP. I don't think your C700s are bad... but for reference, I have to bump up the 60Hz region +10 on my Inspiron to get bass similar to my DAPs. Equalize down, not up. With my Lyrix I usually leave EQ off.

Apr 9, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely return them. The C700s real strength is the bass and treble.
If you're having to turn up both to max there's a problem.

Most people think the bass is more than adequate with the treble bordering on 'too much' for some.
I can't even imagine a C700 with more treble than it already has!! It would slice my ears up
eek.gif

yeah the treble on the c700s is definitely as much as i can take. any more and i'd have to turn the volume down lol. in fact, i already have to sometimes.

the OP's problem might be with the seal. seal with the denon tips have come up as an issue multiple times, and without proper seal, the bass completely disappears, which might explain why you need to turn up the bass to max.

treble however, doesn't disappear so readily with lack of seal, so i'm kinda at a loss at what your problem is, other than the possibility of the phones being faulty, or your lappie having pathetic treble and bass to begin with.

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:10 AM Post #12 of 18
Thanks so much for all of the replies.

A little bit of reference. I honestly think the problem is that I like distorted sound. I used the Senn CX300 for quite some time and I really do love good bass. Additionally, I don't think that it's a bad seal just because outside noise is extremely isolated when I walk around and, additionally, if I had a bad seal, there would be bad bass and treble outside of any source, be it laptop or DAP.

In terms of broken earbuds, I can't confirm, but I sincerely doubt it. The sound out of the iPod touch is an improvement over the CX300's no doubt, but I think I just miss the extremely high amount of bass from the iPod Touch. Not to mention that my laptop was given to me by my brother (a fellow audiophile) so he may have ordered a great audio card for the laptop.

Assuming the C700s aren't broken (they sure don't sound that way), which would help bring more bass (not really treble): an amp for my iPod touch or a new DAP (I've been looking at the Sony A series).

Thanks so much guys.

Apr 9, 2008 at 6:29 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rman3008 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks so much for all of the replies.

A little bit of reference. I honestly think the problem is that I like distorted sound. I used the Senn CX300 for quite some time and I really do love good bass. Additionally, I don't think that it's a bad seal just because outside noise is extremely isolated when I walk around and, additionally, if I had a bad seal, there would be bad bass and treble outside of any source, be it laptop or DAP.

In terms of broken earbuds, I can't confirm, but I sincerely doubt it. The sound out of the iPod touch is an improvement over the CX300's no doubt, but I think I just miss the extremely high amount of bass from the iPod Touch. Not to mention that my laptop was given to me by my brother (a fellow audiophile) so he may have ordered a great audio card for the laptop.

Assuming the C700s aren't broken (they sure don't sound that way), which would help bring more bass (not really treble): an amp for my iPod touch or a new DAP (I've been looking at the Sony A series).

Thanks so much guys.

Perhaps your ears are just too used to the bloated bass of the CX300s. I have to admit, when I first listened to other phones I missed the CX300/ EP630 bass. But then a week later I changed back to the EP630 then I was like WTH is this

Apr 9, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #14 of 18
The Sony A8xx works very good with the denons, among others both Soozieq and me own and love that combination. All ipods I tried to my ears always lack full bass giving them a sharp unpleasant sound, which can't EQ-ed away, but I haven't heart the Touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back