Source options for office listening
Jun 21, 2006 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

replytoken

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking at listening options for my work space (read "cubicle") and I have several options. For FM listening, I am all set with a small Sony SRF model. For other music, I can use a Panasonice SL-CT470 CDP with a HR Total Air Head amp that I currently own, or I could purchase either of the following. A new Total Bit Head to use in conjunction with my computer's CD (I cannot put music or software directly on my work machine). Or, I could purchase a DAP to use as is, or modified (Rockbox, Red Wine iMod). These options range across the board in terms of price, and what I am looking for is the best value for my money. A fully blown set-up could run as much as $500, and I am not sure that I would find that much improvement in sound over the 470 and TAH that I presently own. Is the Bit Head that much of an improvement? Is the iMod a good value when compared against other options for the same money?

My HD-600's are too big for the office, and my Ety's isolate too much sound, so I will probably buy a pair of Grado SR-60's since I would not be upset if something happened to them at work. As much as I would like to use speakers, I do not want to subject my neighbors to my music, because they might do just the same.
eek.gif
Any suggestions?

Jun 21, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by replytoken
I am looking at listening options for my work space (read "cubicle") and I have several options. For FM listening, I am all set with a small Sony SRF model. For other music, I can use a Panasonice SL-CT470 CDP with a HR Total Air Head amp that I currently own, or I could purchase either of the following. A new Total Bit Head to use in conjunction with my computer's CD (I cannot put music or software directly on my work machine). Or, I could purchase a DAP to use as is, or modified (Rockbox, Red Wine iMod). These options range across the board in terms of price, and what I am looking for is the best value for my money. A fully blown set-up could run as much as $500, and I am not sure that I would find that much improvement in sound over the 470 and TAH that I presently own. Is the Bit Head that much of an improvement? Is the iMod a good value when compared against other options for the same money?

My HD-600's are too big for the office, and my Ety's isolate too much sound, so I will probably buy a pair of Grado SR-60's since I would not be upset if something happened to them at work. As much as I would like to use speakers, I do not want to subject my neighbors to my music, because they might do just the same.
eek.gif
Any suggestions?

I use a CT430 portable as my source @ work. I plug it into a pimeta and KSC75 earclips. Its a very good budget office rig IMHO. Sometimes I swap Pimeta OP amps from an AD823 to a more tame Burr Brown... depending on my mood. I think the CT430 is the Japan equivalent to yours, but it addds an optical output.

What is it that you dont like about your setup?... what are you trying to improve on?

Jun 21, 2006 at 8:48 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
What is it that you dont like about your setup?... what are you trying to improve on?

I have a tube amp at home, along with my Senns and a CDP. I realize that I cannot easily (or cheaply) duplicate this wonderful arrangement at work. The CT470 has served me well, but I am trying to be open-minded about using a DAC or DAP. If the improvements are marginal, I'll save my pennies for something else. If the improvement to cost ratio is high, and my sound is much more in keeping with my home rig, than I might consider some upgrades. But, I am not specifically looking to burn through cash for minor improvements.

Jun 21, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 6
I use a Micro Amp with my ipod throught a turbodock and either my 990s or 225s. Sometimes I use my Sony D-33 PCDP as a source. I have also brought in my millet and HF-1s before. I work in Cubicle Land.

Jun 21, 2006 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 6
I actually like the HD600 for office use. I ordered a Headphile Senn V2 cable in 1.5 meters. I drive the cans with a Supermacro III Version 6 (OPA2134 with High-C buffers). The source is a 4G 60 gb iPod Photo.

Jun 21, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 6
Personally, I wouldn't go the Bithead route if you can't store music on your p.c. (that sucks).

You might consider a system built around a DAP with digital out like the H140, assuming they can still be found on e-bay; I picked up 2 at about $160 apiece awhile back (in case one breaks). Optical-out of a DAP is hard to come by these days. If you add a DAC (e.g., MicroDac), and output to your airhead, you'd have a pretty nice little system. I honestly don't know how good your existing CDP is though, so I can't comment on what kind of improvement you would expect.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back