Source for SR225s and Gilmore Lite
May 15, 2004 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kschul2

100+ Head-Fier
Already posted a similar thread in the Headphones section but I figured I'd come here for a less general question. I'm considering buying Grado SR-225s (w/ flats) and a Gilmore Lite. What source would work well with these? I'll be listening to rock and my budget is about $125 (but some of that will have to be spent on ICs as well). Thanks.

May 16, 2004 at 2:59 AM Post #3 of 6
Sounds like you're a prime candidate for the Toshiba 3960. Should cost you about $70.

May 17, 2004 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 6
If you're on a budget, personally, given the the impedance of those phones, any good headphone out would be just fine for now. You might be better served going that route and just having them plug into a decent source.

That money you save on an amp would go toward a nicer source which will give you more return on your money. Plus, you save on interconnects as well. I found I liked the headphone out on some of the SCD Sony's I've heard (it was "okay" with my Senns but Senns are power whores. A Grado would do fine, just fine). I'm sure the are others and other posts on this question around here.

However, if you do jump to the Senn side of things, you're going to feel inadequate without the right power. Then you really gotta throw down some cash to properly juice those babies.

May 17, 2004 at 7:13 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by stryker
If you're on a budget, personally, given the the impedance of those phones, any good headphone out would be just fine for now. You might be better served going that route and just having them plug into a decent source.

I second this idea.
smily_headphones1.gif
Don't worry about getting everything right away. Just gradually build up your system when you've got the funds. You already know what headphones you want, so just spend the money on a decent source. Makes a lot of sense and that means you can spend more on music instead of equipment and upgrade later when you get 'the itch.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back