Source for molded UE IEM connectors
Jun 5, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #17 of 41
haha they finally have a paypal account...  Good to know for you overseas folks! 

Jun 11, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #19 of 41
Can anyone tell me the diameter of the pins on these connectors as well as the distance between them? I'm hoping they're suitable for the IEM's I just made.

Thanks in advance guys.

Jun 11, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #20 of 41
My calipers say between .72 and .74 mm, but it isn't clear how accurate they are.

Distance seems around 2mm.  Eyeballing the center points, the calipers say 1.98mm.

If I had to guess, I'd say that probably suggests the official size around .75mm with a 2mm spacing.

They are slightly skinnier than the pins on the UE cable that I have which reads .75 to .77mm.  The pins on my Westone cable measure about the same as my UE cable, although the Westone pins are marginally longer than the UE pins. 

The Discovery Global pins are the same length as the UE pins.

-john

Jun 12, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #22 of 41
I am glad he now does paypal. I can finally get some of these! Any recommendations on wire? I want something to look like the Whiplash cable and I want it to be very flexible. I was thinking some 26AWG copper?

Jun 12, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #23 of 41

Well, we know 25 and 26 AWG fits in the holes and 21 AWG does not. 

In general we know we want stranded and more stands is better.

So far I haven't seen any real good recommendations for IEM wire.  Most of the small stuff I have seen is stiffer than is desirable. 

If you find something that works well, let us all know.

-john

Jun 12, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #25 of 41
I think I have decided on some 24.5 AWG Cryo copper wire. But I now have a problem. How am I going to split them when i braid the wire? Any suggestions on that?

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #26 of 41
What I do is solder the two ground wires (from the left and right) to just one ground wire at the Y-split so you just get three wires after that (L,R,Grnd) and its easier and neater to braid. I used heatshrink to cover the soldered part thats all

Aug 30, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #27 of 41
I'm also thinking about making a custom cable for my UE SF5 Pro. Here's my thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/509936/custom-silver-audio-cable-build#post_6892095

I would like to use 24 awg silver wires with quad braid. Will this fit the pin housing?

Okay, so I get the housing and pins from Derek in HK and connect them to the wires via glue? Why not solder them on? I will be using a heat shrink over the black housing for added protection.

Also, since there will be 4 wires once it's been braided and stripped at the tips, do I connect each wire to each pin? I'm just trying to understand how to connect 4 wires to the pins. Glue? Solder?

Mar 9, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #29 of 41

Quote:
Has anyone recently been able to contact either Derek or discovery-global? 

I've tried for the past 2 weeks and there seems to be no reply.

I tried contacting them 3 weeks ago but there is no reply. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back