Source for Isolation/Insulation Washers for Metal Cases?
Jul 8, 2003 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

phaedrus

100+ Head-Fier
Can anyone provide a source (or the proper terminology) for nylon/plastic/non-conductive insulation washers for things like DC power jacks? I've been browsing through the stack of dead trees that Digi-Key, Mouser and Newark sent, but confess to being more than slightly whelmed. I've also asked at the local not-radio-shack electronics parts place only to be met with a slack jawed, "Huh?"

Jul 8, 2003 at 5:58 PM Post #2 of 7
Some RCA jacks come with them
(Dayton Audio at partsexpress.com, e.g.).

A good source is a hardware store (Ace, True Value, etc.). They usually have nylon
washers in diameters of 3/8" and less.

Jul 8, 2003 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 7
What you're looking for are "shoulder washers" -- like a regular nylon washer but with a ridge on the inner edge that drops into the hole so as to keep the metal parts from touching each other. Keystone has a fair variety, and you can get them at Mouser for sure and probably also Mouser and maybe Allied as well. Unfortunately, they're pretty bulky, so they're not the most beautiful solution.

A better solution is to start with an insulated jack to begin with. DGS has some insulated DC power jacks; you can get them at Mouser.

Jul 9, 2003 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 7
Any part #s for good 2.5mm and 2.1mm insulated jacks from mouser? Oh yeah, and something like the CP-5 from digikey is not insulated right?

Jul 9, 2003 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 7
Just download the Mouser catalog and look in the DGS section. You'll find them.

And no, the CP-5 is not isolated. Pretty much, if the jack has a metal shell, you can bet it isn't isolated. There are exceptions, but...

Jul 9, 2003 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 7
Thank you for the pointers and the information. I'll pull the mouser catalog and see what I can find. I did manage to find an insulated jack here at a local shop, but it is much too big to use on an altoids tin. It will work fine on one of the hammond, serpac or pactec cases I ordered.

Quote:

Originally posted by guzzler
completely OT, but phaedrus, is your handle from "Zen, and the Art Of Motorcycle Maintenance"?? If so, good choice, good book!

g

Thanks
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back